Chief Software Engineer (Austin or Foster City, CA)
- Austin, TX, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Commercial Data Services platform is the central data processing platform for Visa's Commercial Card business. This individual will act as a trusted technical advisor and strategic thought leader within the Commercial Data Services technology team. You will strategize, define, develop and lead application solution architecture and solutions delivery for the Commercial Data Services platform to ensure that is continues to grow and deliver business value to Visa clients. You will identify and prioritize the key capabilities the platform needs, define the technical specifications, create solution approaches and build technical roadmaps in achieving the platform goals. You will act as a technical expert and lead, participate, guide, and mentor other members of the tam on architecture, design and development in a hands-on manner. This role requires an acute sense of attention to detail and a flexible, team-player approach. Superior organization, written communication and verbal communication skills are required.
Primary responsibilities will include
Develop and maintain architectural roadmap for products and services plus ensuring alignment with the business and enterprise architecture strategies and standards.
Able to develop, present and explain the value and vision of proposed architectures and solutions to a wide range of audience.
Articulate technology solutions as well as explain the competitive advantages of various technology alternatives.
Develop strategies to meet business objectives with existing or emerging technologies. Ability to translate business concepts to technical terms.
Apply creative thinking/approach to determine technical solutions that further business goals and align with corporate technology strategies, keeping in mind performance, reliability, scalability, usability, security, flexibility, and cost.
Oversee and sign off key architecture and design artifacts and ensure the quality implementation and smooth execution in production with customer experience.
Serve as a technical expert and provide mentorship and help team growth especially on technical side.
Build relationships with key technical leaders across technology organizations and collaborate on promoting architectural best practices across technology
Work with engineering professionals, architects and others within Visa to ensure that the solution will scale appropriately while being cost effective.
Maintain technology roadmap of the engineering platform and proactively work with the program management organization and solution architects in driving the technology roadmap.
Provide guideline and long term architecture strategy, and ensure compliance of the reference architecture and security requirements.
- Experienced technology leader with a minimum of 15+ years of hands-on experience in systems and solution design, architecture, and development.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline required; advanced degree is a plus.
- Technical background in data with deep understanding of issues in multiple areas such as data management, query processing, distributed processing, high availability, statistical, data mining, machine learning and operational excellence of production systems is required.
- Have a successful track record of leading architecture work for large scale projects that represent broad strategic initiatives meeting quantifiable business objectives and resulting in tangible impact for the organization. Demonstrated expertise in leveraging agile and other development methodologies
- Strong at identifying problems, solving complex problems with simple solutions.
- Think strategically: See patterns and relationships in information and events; clarify and simplify complex information; anticipate trends and possibilities that may lead to new business opportunities; consistently think and act "ahead of the curve;" anticipate and effectively respond with urgency to immediate opportunities; executes plans vigorously and with flexibility; operate proactively; identify and address long-term opportunities.
- Strong on driving for results and self-motivated, fast learner, with good understanding of related advanced/new technology. Keep up with the technology development in the related areas in the industry, which could be leveraged to enhance current architectures and build durable new ones.
- Outstanding verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, and interaction skills, including ability to effectively communicate architectural issues and concepts to multiple organization levels and executive management.
- Demonstrated hands on experience building and architecting Big Data solutions. Expertise in Big Data technologies in Hadoop ecosystem MapReduce, Hive, HDFS, Yarn, Kafka, Pig, Oozie, HBase, Sqoop, Spark, etc
- Experience architecting highly distributed, scalable, concurrent and low latency systems working with one or more of the following technologies: Hadoop distributions, Storm and Spark streaming, Kafka, Spark advanced analytics, NoSQL data warehouses such as MongoDB Hbase, Cassandra, and data processing frameworks like Apache Nifi.
- Hands on experience with Scala, Python, and Java etc
- Understanding of Machine Learning libraries like Apache Mahout and Spark MLib
- Strong understanding of data analytics and data visualization
- Developing data-enabling software utilizing open source frameworks or projects such as Spring, Angular JS, SOLR, Drools, etc.
- Strong on elegant coding, can write very solid prototypes or core components quickly.
- Should be a technical leader who inspires people first through his/her technical know-how
- Experience working with and evaluating open source technologies and demonstrated ability to make objective choices.
- Leveraging DevOps techniques and practices like Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation and Test Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of working code utilizing tools like Jenkins, Maven, Nexus, Chef, Teraform, Ruby, Git and Docker.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.