Data Science Manager
- Beijing, China
Visa is a global payments technology company that connects consumers, businesses, banks and governments in more than 200 countries and territories, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
Visa operates the world's largest retail electronic payments network and is one of the most recognized global financial services brands. Visa facilitates global commerce through the transfer of value and information among financial institutions, merchants, consumers, businesses and government entities. We offer a range of branded payment product platforms, which our financial institution clients use to develop and offer credit, charge, deferred debit, prepaid and cash access programs to cardholders. Visa's card platforms provide consumers, businesses, merchants and government entities with a secure, convenient and reliable way to pay and be paid in 170 countries and territories.
Visa’s Digital and Developer Platform (DDP) team is building a new generation of products to facilitate commerce in everyone’s digital and mobile lives. At DDP, we are focused on creating smarter payment solutions that provide fast, easier ways to pay with mobile, web and other digital devices wherever you are – remote or proximity payment.
The Data Science Director is a member of the VISA Consultancy and Analytics (VCA) team. The team serves as a central function that works with internal teams on Visa’s key issuing banks, merchant clients and internal business strategies and decisions. This is a high-performing team of data scientists, data analysts, statisticians, and business analysts from various countries – serving major FIs and merchants in Greater China markets. VCA works on Visa’s huge amount of data, providing the basis for insightful and innovative analytics that helps Visa and our clients to improve their products and market position. The team offers its members exciting opportunities to help grow the function and further establish analytics as a market-place differentiator for Visa.
The role will focus on Greater China markets, based in Beijing or Shanghai, China, reporting into Data Science – Greater China head. Being part of the country business environment gives the role a strong ability to drive the analytics requirements relevant for business, and provides country business team quick access to trends to be able to make data driven decisions.
The Data Science Director, will responsible for leading, executing and delivering customer and portfolio analysis. They will execute on business analysis projects, while establishing and/or executing best practices in the industry, and will work closely with the Greater China team for large-scale, complex analytics projects.
The Data Science Director role will require advanced SAS programming, data analysis and presentation preparation to execute and deliver on business requirement. The person will play a key “hands-on” role in business analysis and analytical projects and directly contribute to the success of the same.
• Develop and produce end-to-end analyses from a variety of sources based on business requirements
• Collaborate with the Greater China business teams to fully understand business requirements and desired business outcomes
• Deliver high quality analyses that synthesize data analysis and research into key fact-based findings and actionable recommendations.
• Work hands-on to deliver on projects, extracting data from various Visa data sources and manipulating data in Excel/SAS/HADOOP, drawing conclusions, and creating insightful outputs for Clients
• Help in developing approach and methodology to analytical questions / projects brought by the business; understand and clarify business objectives and requirements
• Actively execute on project deliverables and timelines to provide meaningful insights to business
• Resolve data and other analysis related issues as they arise in the project
• Maintain a robust control environment in terms of data protection, quality standards, and compliance with benchmarking and disclosure rules
• Ensure project delivery within timelines and budget requirements
• Work as independent contributor mostly and as a team lead if needed by providing guidance to other team members where needed
• Provide subject matter expertise and quality assurance of complex data driven analytic projects
• Foster data analytics-driven decisions in both internal Visa and external clients and serve as a point of contact for analytics, attending meetings and client presentation as required
• Minimum of 5 years of analytical experience in applying data analytics solutions to business problems, with a minimum 2 years in payments/financial industry
• Post Graduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in Quantitative field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, Computer Science, Economics, or engineering or equivalent experience preferred
• Very strong data understanding and analysis skills; should be a functional expert database and data models
• Expert level SAS, including SAS macro and SAS/SQL
• Knowledge of R and HADOOP is a plus
• Expert level PowerPoint and Excel
• Data visualization tool experience – Microstrategy, Tableau etc.
• Working knowledge of statistical principles such as linear regression, logistic regression, multivariate analysis, time series analysis and experimental design
• Results oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor
• Good business acumen with strong ability to solve business problems through data driven quantitative methodologies. Experience in payment, retail banking, or retail merchant industries is preferred
• Understanding of Cards/Payments and Banking business model would be a plus
• Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible style, with the ability to tailor data driven results to various audience levels
• Detailed oriented, is expected to ensure highest level of quality/rigor in reports & data analysis
• Proven skills in translating analytics output to actionable recommendations, and delivery
• Experience in presenting ideas and analysis to stakeholders
• Exhibit intellectual curiosity and strive to continuously learn
• Ability to execute and solve problems independently
• Excellent communicator, with strong English written and verbal skills