Senior Director, Financial Controller Japan
- Tokyo, Japan
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
This Senior Director, Japan Controller position is responsible for ensuring the integrity and accuracy of financial reporting for activities in Japan in accordance with US GAAP, IFRS and various other local statutory requirements. He or she is also accountable for working with Country Management, Business Units, Regional (Singapore) and Global Control teams (Foster City, USA) to establish and maintain a strong internal controls environment across the various country offices. Additionally, this individual will interact frequently and collaborative closely with Japan’s senior leadership team, including leadership across business lines to influence decisions and provide guidance regarding financial and accounting implications of business activities/decisions. This individual will be a strong change agent and able to drive engagement throughout transformation programs driving for efficiency and maximized effectiveness.
This role is based in Tokyo and reports directly to the APAC Regional Controller in Singapore.
Manages and coaches team members to develop talent, facilitate engagement and promote professional development. This includes driving the team to remove silos within the organization.
Defines the department’s direction and strategy to provide proactive support and results-driven execution of responsibilities while meeting current and future needs of the business.
Provide oversight of internal controls over business transactions, particularly high-risk transactions such as value-in-kinds services provided to business partners raised in Japan. Partner with various back office functions to reinforce policies and procedures and ensure prompt remediation actions are taken to prevent reoccurrence.
Ensure strong controls over financial accounting and reporting and that accounting policies and procedures are well understood and complied with.
Establish themselves as a key business partner and “go-to” Controller resource to provide technical accounting, Finance operations and reporting guidance to Country Management and local business units in Japan.
Collaborate closely with Local, Regional and Global Finance teams to ensure financial statements are prepared timely and accurately in accordance with US and local GAAP and financial reporting requirements. Support Visa Inc’s quarterly and annual SEC filings.
Embed a culture of continuous process improvement by evaluating various business processes to streamline and drive improvements, with the goal of establishing best practices and standardizing policies and procedures to drive efficiency and future scalability with excellent customer service levels.
Ensure prompt and efficient integration of new acquisitions and set-up of new legal entities by partnering effectively with FP&A, Treasury, Finance Operations, Tax, Billing and Legal departments.
Partner with Controllership teams like Tax to manage multiple regulatory requirements and achieve transfer pricing strategies with effective monitoring of legal entity transaction flows.
Work with the Regional and Global Controllership teams, including Accounting Policy to implement new financial accounting policies and procedures.
Lead and support the organization through cross-functional project teams via business initiatives, including, but not limited to, major systems implementations, business transformations and other commercial priorities.
Manage internal and external audits and lead remediation activities as required.
Influence decision making within a matrix management structure that positively impact strategic business objectives.
Effectively stay abreast of Visa’s business and accounting areas of oversight and proactively advise senior management and cross-functional teams on accounting, reporting, system and process matters.
- Certified Public Accountant or Chartered/Certified Accountant license required and Big 4 public accounting and audit experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business related discipline; Advanced Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics or equivalent is highly desired.
- At least 12 to 15 years of progress experience in audit, financial reporting or accounting operations, working in a large and fast paced multi-national commercial environment.
- Strong knowledge of Sarbanes Oxley and internal control requirements; High ethical and quality control standards.
- Strong knowledge and experience with US GAAP, J GAAP and IFRS, along with in-depth experience in preparation of statutory financial reports and tax transfer pricing strategies.
- Good knowledge of the Japan tax regime and filing process.
- Ability to work well under pressure; strong problem solving skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and a proven ability to build and maintain stakeholder relationships at all levels.
- People management skills with aptitude and interest in developing the Finance and controllership team.
- Ability to think strategically and support business objectives while effectively balancing risk/reward trade-offs.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and influencing skills and ability to work effectively in a matrix management structure in a complex and diverse, international and multi-cultural environment.
- Self-directed and motivated to continuously improve processes to exceed customer expectations and help promote a best-in-class organization.
- Proven leadership skills, with the ability to instigate and support change.
- Customer focused, driven and can lead by example.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office applications and Oracle Financials