Lead SW Engineer, Big Data
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
More About Visa:
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
This position is ideal for an experienced software engineer who is passionate about solving challenging business problems and building applications that provide an excellent user experience. You will be one of the leaders of Visa’s Data Platform or Data Product Development teams focusing on the design and build of software solutions that leverage data to solve business problems. Sometimes you will be designing brand-new software solutions, and at other times you may be refactoring existing functionality for performance and maintainability, but always working on ways to make us more efficient and provide better solutions to our customers. The role is for a self-motivated individual with expert software engineering skills and extensive experience with Big Data. The candidate will be involved in leading hands-on software engineering activities including POCs, architecture, design, documentation, development and test of new functionality. Candidate must be flexible and willing to switch tasks based on team’s needs. You will also help mentor and guide junior team members.
- Collaborate with project team members (Product Managers, Architects, Analysts, Developers, Project Managers, etc.) to ensure development and implementation of new data driven business solutions.
- Drive development effort End-to-End for on-time delivery of high quality solutions that conform to requirements, conform to the architectural vision, and comply with all applicable standards.
- Engagement in requirements definition and clarification in collaboration with Business to ensure completeness and common understanding; deep understanding of the business needs is important.
- Providing estimates for effort and time
- Facilitating code reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules, or potential problems.
- Review and assessment of impact of proposed scope changes on assigned deliverables
- Work with other engineering teams to facilitate a common approach to continuous integration that includes build automation, test automation, and deployment automation.
- Collaborate with senior technical staff and PM to identify, document, plan contingency, track and manage risks and issues until all are resolved.
- Effectively communicate status, issues, and risks in a precise and timely manner.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- 10+ years’ experience in Object Oriented software development building scalable, robust, and high-performance applications and services
- Expert Java or C++ developer
- Experience with creating data driven business solutions and solving data problems using a wide variety of technologies such as Hadoop, MapReduce, Hive, Scala, Kafka and/or Spark
- Experience with MongoDB, NoSQL, as well as traditional data technologies like RDBMS, SQL Server a plus
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Automated Test tools such as Jenkins, Artifactory, Git, Selenium, Chef desirable.
- Experience with Agile and Test Driven Development methodology
- Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving ability.
- Ability to present complex ideas in a clear, concise way.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays. Apply today and a recruiter will be in touch soon.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.