Director - PaaS Engineering
- Bengaluru, India
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
You may have noticed that payment has become a very active/hot area in the last several years. Given the strong demands and innovation, this will be a very exciting area in the next 5 to 10 years. VISA is clearly a very strong leader in the payment industry, and is in a fast pace of technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advance technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform (DP) Department is in the center for many of these technologies and development.
The Data Platform Department is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched and valuable ecosystem of data platform and data services to drive innovation for our partners and clients, within Visa and globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data Platform Department is dedicated to develop advanced technology (e.g. Cloud, Machine Learning and Big Data), systems and services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, and easy to use, therefore enabling Visa with the ability to leverage its data asset in an effective and timely manner to maximize technology/business development and differentiate Visa from others in the payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for various internal lines of business and external clients. Our technical stack has two layers: Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Data as a service (DaaS).
The Platform as Services team is part of Visa's Data Platform division. Our mission is to provide the enabling technology and processes to manage Visa data assets and deliver Value Added Information Products and Services to our customers. We are an integral part of the PaaS and DaaS teams. 30% of the time team spend on development, 30% - on support, 30% - on administration and 10% - on improving business processes.
PaaS and DaaS organization are building the Next Generation Data processing engines with cost-effective and distributed applications on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Building next generation applications require collaboration with exceptional group of highly skilled Data architects, software engineers, DevOps engineers, payment experts and infrastructure architects. This is an exciting time for a data professional to join our team to drive technology transformation.
A successful candidate will lead all aspects of the architecture and infrastructure of Data Platform. Success in this role will requires working effectively with a matrix organization within Data Platform and across other departments within Visa.
A successful candidate needs to be highly technical, with architect experience, and have demonstrated ability to lead, recruit, grow and retain data talent at scale. Prior experience must include leadership for mission-critical large scale data systems for analytic and operational use. Examples include data collection systems, large scale data pipelines, warehousing, cloud technology like Hadoop and Spark, business intelligence and predictive analytics.
We desire a candidate who has grown into an organizational leader after personal achievements as a hands-on architecture designer and system builder in the related areas. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in cloud technologies, big data, web technologies, large scale distributed platforms, machine learning, etc., and is a thought leader, is very familiar with the up to date development of the industry in these areas, have organizational skills, written and verbal communication skills, management and software solution delivery, demonstrated success in building partnerships with other technology functions such as operations, security, development, and engineering is required.
- Responsible for meeting all non-functional requirements for applications within shared Data Platform
- Partnering with application developers, architects, engineers, and various groups supporting Data Platform applications to drive new initiatives
- Collaborating with project and development teams to ensure on time delivery of projects, production support plans, and knowledge transfer for long-term supportability of upgrades, enhancements, and deployments
- Identifying existing productivity issues and opportunities, developing methods and systems to improve these functions and managing their implementation
- Serving as liaison between the various organizational entities and building relationships with members of these organizations
- Developing close working relationships and dependencies with members of teams within the organization
- Manage all platforms of applications including capacity planning, version upgrades and maintenance
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards and processes
- Mentor/manage team members, develop procedures and best practices standards
- Build and maintain relationships with global and virtual teams and third parties on software development or support issues
- Participate in the overall strategy, standardization, analysis, design, and implementation of applications
- Engages architects (both enterprise and domain) to ensure that overall Enterprise Architecture is inclusive of all stakeholder viewpoints and are vetted to ensure that artifacts supports, reflects, advances and integrates as intended
- Ensures inclusion of Visa’s business vision, current business environment (internally and externally) and technology and industry trends to enable results that drive Visa’s business
- Master degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems or other technical discipline
- Minimum of 12 years of software development management experience (with a concentration in data centric initiatives), with demonstrated expertise in leveraging standard development best practice methodologies
- Experience in Hadoop using Java, C++, HBase, Spark, Kafka, Hive,Pig, Splunk technologies
- Possess superb business analytic ability as well as astute awareness of state-of-the-art and best practices for Big data, data warehousing, consumer analytics, knowledge management, near real time data processing
- Demonstrate expertise in data warehouse development, management of information systems and enterprise data store approaches with progressive career experience managing technologies and operations in large, complex, and geographically diverse operations
- Minimum of 5+ years of hands-on experience in managing large scale Hadoop clusters and applications
- Minimum of 5+ or more years of hands-on experience with coding on languages like C/C++, Java, open system platforms (UNIX: AIX, Linux)
- Relational database and SQL development experience required
- In-depth knowledge of the software development life cycle required
- Development experience in a cross-platform, multi-tier environment
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to present complex ideas and document in a clear and concise way
- Expert in best practices for Data Marts and Enterprise DW architectures
- Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.