Director - Database Engineering
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Payment technology has become a very popular area in the last several years. Given the strong demands and innovation, this will be a very exciting area in coming years. VISA is clearly a very strong leader in the payment industry and is in a fast-paced technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advanced technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform (DP) Department is in the center for many of these technologies and development.
The Data Platform Department is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched and valuable ecosystem of data platform and data services to drive innovation for our partners and clients, within Visa and globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data Platform Department is dedicated to systems and services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, and easy to use, therefore enabling Visa with the ability to leverage its data asset in an effective and timely manner to maximize technology/business development and differentiate Visa from others in the payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for various internal lines of business and external clients. Our technical stack has two layers: Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Data as a service (DaaS).
The Platform as a Service team is part of Visa's Data Platform division. Our mission is to provide the enabling technology and processes to manage Visa data assets and deliver Value Added Information Products and Services to our customers. Building next generation applications require collaboration with exceptional group of highly skilled data architects, software engineers, DevOps engineers, payment experts and infrastructure architects. This is an exciting time for a data professional to join our team to drive technology transformation
· As a Director for Database Engineering the successful candidate will be responsible for building and leading Database engineering team across various technologies like DB2, MySQL and other No-SQL data stores.
· You will be responsible for design, build, deployment, management, security, reliability, performance, and scalability of our large database clusters and database services.
· Growing and leading a Database engineering team responsible for rethinking the assumptions behind how traditional DW services are built and thinking how to build database services best suited for PaaS(platform as a Service).
· You will draw from your deep and broad technical and management expertise to mentor senior engineers , complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues, design aspects/tradeoffs, and prioritization.
· As an engineering leader within PaaS , you will work with senior leaders to develop business requirements, influence our technical strategy, help hire talented engineers , and perceive innovative new solutions for our customers.
· Effectively manage internal & external expectations from partners & customers
· Manage overall delivery & support process across multiple initiatives to ensure sustainable DBA practice which includes automation, process documentation, prod support, optimization & monitoring
· Prior leadership experience managing a team that runs large scale distributed database systems
· Experience with building cloud services or PaaS (platform as a Service) in database area is strongly preferred.
· A successful candidate is who thrives in a fast-paced environment, has customer obsession, think big, and knows to simplify. The ideal candidate has strong leadership qualities coupled with strong technical background in managing very large databases, constant thrive for improving user experience , building self service capabilities, love to learn new technologies, passionate about speed of execution.
· Experience working across multiple DB technologies, DB admin tools, Operating systems, DB & application servers is a must.
· Hands on experience with Experience with very large databases(VLDB), Distributed data processing, parallel query optimization and execution, large scale data analytics, building highly available/fault tolerant systems, replication, and building/operating complex database services as PaaS/Cloud offerings .
· Ability to balance innovation, business priorities with technical best practices & implementation methodologies while supporting enterprise-class application software
· Strong database systems architecture experience with solid technical background in more than one RDBMS & No-SQL technologies.
· Deep expertise in DB2 LUW is required combined with good knowledge one or more Database/No-SQL datastore technologies.
· Working Knowledge of other BigData technologies is preffered.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.