Staff Data Scientist: MDP
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Merchant Data Products Team is responsible for delivering the Information for value added information products and services capability for our client’s. The Staff Data Scientist will be developing new capabilities on the merchant data, develops and execute applications using the high quality transaction data in our enterprise data warehouse. The candidate will discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data, and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better products. Your primary focus will be in applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems integrated with data analysis and implementation of new programs and subprograms, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing Merchant Analytics Systems. This is an individual contributor role responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. This role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
- Work with product owners and clients to fully understand business requirements and desired business outcomes
- Assist in scoping and designing analytic projects and solutions, bringing in and testing innovative ideas for out-of-box solutions
- Extract actionable business insights from the data and build deliverables that clearly communicate the findings and recommendations
- Selecting features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Data mining using state-of-the-art methods
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of its performance
Business Skills and General Qualities:
- Good business acumen to orient data analysis and solutions to business needs of clients
- Strong desire and unyielding mindset to solve the hardest data problems
- Articulate communicator able to translate data and technical concepts for a business audience
- Demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor, strong attention to details
- Team oriented, energetic, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible style
- Intellectually curious and continuously striving to learn
- High level of competence in Python, Spark/Scala, and Unix/Linux scripts
- Extensive experience with SQL for extracting and aggregating data
- Real world experience using Hadoop and the related query engines (Hive / Impala)
- Experience with data mining and statistical modeling such as regression, clustering techniques, decision trees, etc. is required
- Proficiency with SAS as a statistical package is highly desirable
- Experience with data visualization and business intelligence tools like Tableau or other programs
Education and Experience:
MS degree in Computer Data Science/Computer Engineering or a math Major with Data Science degree
5+ years of extensive Hands-on on various machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as text analytics, NLP,k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
Experience applying statistical solutions to business problems in relevant fields such as analytics, business consulting, or other data-driven functions
- Analytics experience in credit cards, financial services, or merchant analytics (such as retail, hotels) is helpful but not required
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.