Manager, Data Acquisition
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Are you skilled in identifying how data could be translated into compelling storing and useful strategic insights? Do you solve complex data challenges with creative flair? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world's most respected and innovative payments companies.
The Global Data Science group works with internal business teams, our key Visa issuing banks, and merchant clients to drive value from Visa's unique global data assets. Our Data and Technology teams are critical partners of the Data Science community at Visa.
In this role, you will be responsible for helping to blueprint and deliver critical external data sources that solve clients' business objectives. You will get chance to leverage your strategic planning, business analysis and technical knowledge of data sources, providers and applications of data. In addition to managing our portfolio of datasets globally, you will play key roles in helping our data scientist community to work with these datasets effectively. For example, you can expect to help data scientists to find and use the appropriate datasets for their specific problems. You will also produce documentation and lead training sessions for certain datasets. You might also work with outside organizations to facilitate data-sharing agreements and other types of partnerships.
- Develop our global data acquisition strategy by evaluating external data sources and use cases and leveraging knowledge from market, external stakeholders and research.
- Lead assessment of vendors and coordinate across data science, sourcing, legal and consulting teams. Connect external data sources to internal business use-cases
- Manage external data operations including sourcing, provisioning, access controls, use-case evaluations
- Develop education materials and supporting documentation to enhance data literacy across the organization
- Provide guidance on utilization of external data sources to data science team members
- Monitor and product reports on dataset usage to inform long-term acquisition strategy
- Work with manager and clients to fully understand business data-use requirements and desired business outcomes
- Perform other relevant to external data acquisition on an as-needed basis
- This position will require travel 0%-5% of the time.
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelors Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 7-10 years of work experience with a Bachelors Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
Business skills and general qualities:
- Good business acumen to orient data analysis to business needs of clients
- Strategic thinker
- Articulate communicator able to translate data and technical concepts for a business audience
- Project management skills
- Demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor, strong attention to detail Team oriented, energetic, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible style
- Intellectually curious and continuously striving to learn
- Functional ability to test datasets for completeness and integrity using big-data analytics tools
- Understanding of database concepts and information security terminology.
- Experience with SQL for extracting and aggregating data
- Real world experience using Hadoop and the related query engines (Hive / Impala) is a plus.
- Familiarity or experience with data mining and statistical modeling (e.g., regression modeling, clustering techniques, decision trees, etc.) is a plus
- Competent in Excel and PowerPoint
- Developed and executed a strategy for data acquisition
- Deeply familiar with data vendors specifically in FinTech, understanding of the ecosystem, pricing and contract structures
- 6-8 years of total professional experience with strong management skills and experience in data evaluation and collection preferably in a FinTech environment
- Familiarity with commercially and open-source data sources
- Applied knowledge of solutions to business problems in relevant fields such as analytics, business consulting, or other data-driven functions is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in quantitative field such as Statistics, Operational Research, Computer Science, Economics, etc.
- Post graduate degree or MBA with strong technical experiences strongly preferred
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.