Staff Database Engineer
- Foster City, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. CyberSource, a Visa company, has been and continues to be a pioneer within the e-Commerce Payment Management world. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
At the heart of Visa lies a secure, global payments processing network that for 40 years has empowered people, businesses and governments in over 200 countries. It is in the midst of profound change, innovating like never before, transforming, and refreshing the technology assets to set the foundation for the next several decades.
Within Technology, Infrastructure division provides best-in-class infrastructure services that are secure, scalable, continuous available. It architects, builds and maintains secure and reliable data centers, systems and networks to support the business functionality that Visa provides to payment industry stakeholders.
The Database team is part of Infrastructure’s Distributed Systems Division and is responsible for delivering open system database infrastructures with operational excellence, being the industry leader in preventive and predictive operations driven by continuous innovation through selfheal and automated ecosystems, architecting, engineering, and building the reliable, scalable, secure, available, and cost-effective database infrastructure solutions for product development partners; working closely with them to use database products to the best, meeting various workload requirements, being transactional, analytical, non-relational, or data warehouse.
The team is the technology owner of multiple RDBMS and NoSQL technologies, is responsible to strategize, advance, and engineer enterprise solution for automated build/patching and efficient administration, that meet security, availability, performance, fast delivery and reporting requirements, and to support projects and products using these technologies.
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the plan, build and run activities related to database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to the design/architect, solution engineering, and support; will be responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining the running systems, able to perform problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
Primarily the architecture, engineering, standardization and support of different database technologies on both SQL and NoSQL. Key responsibilities includes, but not limited to -
- Create and maintain database standards including - build, monitoring, backup and security standards for the various DB technologies including NoSQL and SQL.
- Define and document best practices and architecture patterns for databases to support the various availability requirements of applications.
- Conduct proof-of-concepts to evaluate different database technologies on both SQL and NoSQL in various areas including availability, scalability, security, manageability and performance.
- Create requirements document and automate recurring tasks to improve the agility and to minimize human errors.
- Define and implement high availability and continuous Availability best practices and standards.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support to other database Engineering and Operations teams.
- Physical implementation of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Define and implement proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution.
- Work closely with delivery, engineering, development and operations team to ensure database standards are followed and architecture patterns are aligned with the requirements
- Define and document database security best practices such as Technical Security Requirements and implementation procedures
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology field.
- Strong understanding of database fundamentals on both relational and non-relational database technologies.
- 7+ years of experience with one or more of the RDBMS technologies including Oracle, MS SQL, DB2 LUW, MySQL, PostgreSQL
- 3+ years of experience with one or more of NoSQL technologies such as MongoDB, CouchBase, Cassandra, Neo4J
- Hands-on experience using one or more of database monitoring tools such as Oracle OEM, IBM DSM, MySQL MEM.
- Strong understanding of database replication technologies such as Golden Gate and HA/DR capabilities
- Strong knowledge of operating systems on UNIX/Linux/Windows and good understanding of network and storage
- Strong scripting skills preferably using Perl or Python.
- Hands-on experience in database performance optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues.
- Strong desire to explore and learn new technologies.
- Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Experience integrating database monitoring metrics with enterprise logging tools such as Splunk desired.
- Experience implementing database external authentication such as LDAP/Kerberos integration preferred.
- Experience with visualization tools such as Tableau desired.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.