Director of Engineering - Billing Platforms
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
At Visa, the Corporate Information Technology, Billing & Incentives Platforms team, enables Visa's revenue growth through flexible pricing engines and global revenue platforms built on next-generation technologies. This includes managing system requirements, evaluating cutting-edge technologies, design, development, integration, quality assurance, implementation and maintenance of corporate revenue applications. The team works closely with business owners of these services to deliver customer developed solutions, as well as implement industry leading packaged software. This team has embarked on a major transformational journey to build and implement best of breed revenue and billing applications to transform our business as well as technology.
The candidate will be a leader in Billing & Incentives Platforms team, providing technical and functional expertise, operational excellence, delivery and Automation Services for Visa’s Core Billing Platform.
As Director of Billing Application, you will set the vision and strategy for the platform team – ensuring that our billing services are unbreakable and provides our customers with the best possible experience.
You will build upon your experience in large volume financial systems to master the Visa Billing functions, processes, technology and systems; and passionately mentor and rally the team to meet the business objectives. You will build an inclusive environment that attracts, retains and inspires a diverse and engaged team.
As a leader, you will enable your team to achieve predictable and balanced results as they seek to enhance operational excellence via expert technical and functional knowledge, fully automated CI/CD pipeline and test automation using our AAARM (Automation, Agility, Analytics, Resiliency and Monitoring) Guideline for Health and Availability of our platforms.
- Provide direction and hands on leadership to a team of engineers engaged in development, operations, testing and test automation for Billing Platform (includes large volume pricing, rating, billing, account receivables and revenue reporting functions).
- Provide hands on technical and functional expertise, coaching and mentorship to improve skills across the development and operations team.
- Lead the team to build and own a comprehensive test automation framework and suites, with measurable demonstrated ROI.
- Lead engagement with business partner to deliver projects and support systems. Lead collaboration activities with business partners on requirements, workflow design, configuration, and business re-engineering.
- Ensure “operational excellence” capabilities (Automation, Agility, Analytics, Resiliency and Monitoring) are assessed, planned and built into the platform.
- Propose, plan and execute delivery of improvements and fixes to the platform.
- Identify and implement opportunities in the platform that will drive improvements in performance, scalability, usability and code re-use. With innovative ideas and implementations, continue to drive down technical debt and cost of ownership.
- With the ability to understand complex system architectures and complex functional scenarios, perform root cause analysis to pinpoint problem areas, design solutions and optimizations while staying current on development and test trends, methodology and standards.
- Own and uphold all SLAs and OLAs for the Billing Platform.
- Ensure platform meets security compliance criteria at all times and stays SOX compliant.
- Collaboratively manage dependencies with the other applications in the ecosystem, both upstream and downstream.
- With active engagement, collaboration, effective communication, integrity and reliable delivery, develop and maintain a trusted and valued relationship with both customers and technology partners.
- Manage and track Key Performance Index (KPI) to ensure and maintain high team performance
- Inspire & contribute to cross-organizational teams working on various innovation projects.
- Personnel management, which includes recruitment, performance, education, training and career growth.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- B.S. degree with 12+ years or M.S. degree with 10+ years of experience developing and managing complex , enterprise class, mission critical, large volume global application systems.
- Consistent track record of hiring, retaining and leading top talent, including software engineers, in a fast paced work environment.
- Solid experience in building and maintaining high volume applications using technologies such as Core Java / J2EE, Unix/Linux scripting, Hibernate and Messaging.
- Demonstrated knowledge of RDBMs and SQL with experience in building complex and efficient database queries based on the understanding of the data model.
- Prior experience in building, implementing or maintaining Oracle Revenue Management and Billing (ORMB) OR other large-scale billing applications will be a big plus.
- Hands on experience in conceptualizing and building, test automation frameworks and solutions using tools such as selenium, cucumber, SauceLabs, Java.
- Prior experience in building ETLs and business process automations using Teland is a plus.
- Business domain knowledge in the areas of financial management including billing, account receivables and revenue reporting is a plus
- Exposure to performance troubleshooting, performance tuning applications as well as RDBMS.
- Experience with agile/SCRUM development methodologies, CI/CD and DevOps.
- Experience in effectively deploying development and operational tools like splunk, Git/Bitbucket, Jira, Maven, Jenkins, JUnit, CheckMarx, Eclipse, artifactory etc. Exposure to defining and implementing best practices in using them.
- Proven high-impact leader with record of accomplishment of executing and driving result in a collaborative and thoughtful manner.
- Exposure to analyzing large volume data to validate results, find problem trends and do root cause analysis etc.
- Must have experience in debugging and troubleshooting problems in functionally complex Java based applications.
- Must have proactive and strong communications to work well across teams.
- Ability to work with teams in multiple geographical locations and time zones.
- Coaching and mentoring background, mentoring developers and testers to get the best results as well as for the professional and personal growth of the team members.
- Must be highly self-motivated with strong organizational skills, outstanding analytic skills and polished facilitation skills
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
- This position will require up to 10% travel
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours and may be required to support multiple timezones
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.