Business Development Leader, Merchant Sale & Acquiring – South Korea & Mongolia
- Seoul, South Korea
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Business Development Leader has the responsibility for managing Visa’s Merchant Sales & Acquiring (MS&A) function in South Korea & Mongolia with the primary focus on deepening Visa’s relationship with key strategic merchants, acquirers, value added networks (VANs) and broadening Visa’s acceptance footprint across all channels including face to face, online and mobile. This role will involve overseeing the development and implementation of payment acceptance strategies (card and other form factors) to grow the penetration of electronic payments in designated merchant segments to drive the increase of Merchant Sales Volume (MSV) via merchant initiatives and projects that will grow revenue. This role will predominantly focus on the South Korean market, however support Mongolia when required.
The Business Development Leader is responsible for understanding and communicating local market needs, effectively defining market specific strategies with the help of Hub and global support, and to execute strategies in a timely manner.
This position requires experience in the card payment industry in South Korea, and a strong understanding of the complex merchant acquiring business. The candidate should be familiar with the market landscape, bank clients, merchants, VANs and local regulations.
The Business Development Leader should have the ability to:
- Build strong relationships with staff at all levels at key merchants, acquirers / Issuers and VAN’s thereby understanding their business priorities and drivers well
- Know how Visa’s products and acceptance services can meet our clients’ needs
- Identify and translate business development opportunities into compelling business cases
- Implement successful usage programs and initiatives that capture the essence of Visa’s and the merchant partner’s proposition, thereby driving merchant volume
- In addition, this role will also require the candidate to work on industry & regulatory initiatives, key account management, stakeholder and partner relationships for the South Korea and Mongolia markets.
- Develop and implement strategies to identify opportunities to grow card acceptance, by analyzing segment potential and acceptance gaps in the market
- Manage relationship with key merchants and acquirers to grow Visa volume.
- Development of new initiatives/solutions, implementation of marketing/usage initiatives targeting traditional and new merchant segments, both online and offline with a specific focus on executing the South Korea country strategy
- Manage annual budget to achieve development targets. Achieve volume and similar targets for said segments / merchants and acquirers.
- Lead in marketing and activation campaigns with key merchant partners and develop business case to determine evaluate level of investment and ROI. Monitor progress to ensure campaign / program is successful
- Successful cross sell of Visa products and solutions, for example, Visa contactless, QR code, tokenization to merchants and acquirers.
- Manage market-wide Visa contactless acceptance and deployment
- Establish good working relationships with the Country and Sales team as well as cross functional teams from MS&A hub, Client Services, Legal, Compliance and Product.
- Ensure a sound and healthy working relationship with the top key merchants and lead Sales colleagues in account management of the top acquirers
- Work in partnership with CyberSource (Visa’s payment management company and gateway) to deliver on our digital strategies
- Support local Client Sales Teams with their sales efforts. Maintain current knowledge of technologies, products, services, methods and applications and implement new approaches and practices as required
- Maintain and build rapport with regional Hub peers and other MS&A geographical teams across Visa to exchange, learn and leverage best practices
- Local market, regulatory and payment landscape knowledge and functional experience in acceptance, merchant acquiring, digital payments and gateways, consulting, financial transaction processing knowledge and client sales, preferably Visa, supporting highly complex clients and/or services
- Experience working in a matrixed organization and collaborating with a team of sales and specialist professionals
- A minimum of 10 years of success in the card acquiring/payments industry or with the merchant
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Graduate degree/MBA preferred
- Working knowledge of the local payments network and processing services
- Demonstrated, detailed knowledge of the full breadth of acceptance and other products and services offered by Visa
- Microsoft office tools e.g. PowerPoint, Excel, Word etc
- Broad and multiple industry exposure.
- General Finance and Accounting
- Strong Influencing and Negotiation skills
- Sales and Relationship management skills
- Project management
- Strong oral and written communications skills in both Korean and English
- Business analytics
- Experience in executing on defined strategies
- Proven track record of collaboratively working with colleagues to achieve and exceed established goals and objectives
- Executive presence