Director, U.S. Government Engagement
- Washington, DC, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays
Based in Washington, DC, the Director, U.S. Government Engagement, will play a leading role in devising and executing strategies to build and leverage Visa’s relationships with a wide range of stakeholders in order to advance the company’s business priorities on domestic policy issues. The position will report to the Senior Director, Government Engagement who leads the company’s advocacy efforts on privacy, data use, and security issues.
Visa’s Global Government Engagement team shapes the policy and regulatory environment to grow our business and advance Visa’s mission. We are trusted advisors to governments, clients, and partners. We strive to build the most innovative, reliable and secure global payments ecosystem - one that enables everyone to participate fully in the digital economy, delivering economic growth and positive social outcomes. We are diverse and inclusive –committed to being a best in class team of government relations, policy, and stakeholder engagement professionals.
This position will be responsible for managing and supporting a core set of policy issues for Visa, including cyber security, data use and protection, digital identity, and fraud prevention, among other key policy priorities. In addition, the position will help shape the company’s external engagement with third party organizations, policymakers, and influencers in support of the Company’s policy agenda. The position requires a deep understanding of the financial services and payments industry, and experience working on security and risk related issues is preferred.
As a vital member of Visa’s Global Government Engagement team, this position will help enhance Visa’s profile on Capitol Hill and work to achieve favorable legislative and regulatory outcomes in support of Visa’s business in the United States. This person will work with cross divisional business teams as a subject matter expert on their core issues of responsibility.
An important aspect of the role will be to partner closely with other members of the Visa Global Government Engagement team and provide support on Visa’s broader legislative agenda, including working with our colleagues outside the United States.
This person will be a skilled government relations professional. They will represent Visa at political and industry functions and be responsible for building strategic and long-term relationships with members of Congress and Executive Branch officials and their staff. The position will regularly engage with third-party policy groups, trade associations, and political organizations in support of Visa’s agenda.
In addition, the position will be responsible for monitoring and tracking proposed legislation to determine possible effect relative to Visa’s priorities; planning and coordinating meetings between Visa executives and elected officials to discuss legislative issues; and preparing briefing documents and collateral materials to support Visa’s public policy engagement, among other responsibilities.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter with extraordinary organizational and writing skills, comfortable covering multiple assignments at once, and capable of quickly and efficiently producing high-quality deliverables on a daily basis. S/he should have experience working in government or in the financial services and/or technology sectors.
This dynamic role offers a unique opportunity for someone with special talents to contribute, grow, and excel. The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree a plus
- 10+ years of relevant experience with – and a keen understanding of – the U.S. Congress, executive branch, and trade association landscape required. Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred
- Extensive network of professional contacts in the U.S. government
- Significant experience preparing and staffing senior government or business leaders to interact in public and private settings on high level engagements
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills, including public speaking roles on behalf of a company/government/organization required.
- Advanced ability to research and analyze complex policy issues
- Experience managing and working with external consultants and legal counsel on sensitive business matters
- Superior time-management skills with respect to setting priorities and managing multiple workflows against tight deadlines
- Outstanding professional poise and maturity when interacting with internal or external colleagues at every level, all of the time
- History of good judgment regarding information, which may be confidential or material, non-public
- Strong appreciation for nuance and demonstrated political acumen
- Proven track record of consistently productive collaboration with diverse colleagues in a highly-matrixed work environment
- Self-starter with proven ability to achieve results
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and SharePoint and demonstrated strength in developing complex PowerPoint presentations required.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
“This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.”