Principal Product Manager, Product Architecture - Visa Next
- San Francisco, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As a Product Manager in Consumer Product Architecture team, you will apply your technical and business skills to lead and execute a product initiative to enable international FinTechs, leading-edge banks and emerging market mobile wallets to create/issue, manage, and process Visa cards, and make payment credentials and other entities ubiquitous in Visa ecosystem.
You will work with a cross-discipline team of developers and product managers to come up with modern and developer-friendly architectures and requirements for an API based platfomm. To make a systemic impact, you will need to use your advanced network processing knowledge, and a platform mindset to architect products that have interoperability with other Visa systems. You will use your expert level ISO:8583 knowledge to disrupt or enhance some of the traditional payment functions. You will need thorough understanding of VisaNet or other Network Processing systems. You will need to design a scalable platform that can be effectively commercialized across many geographies, allowing for local regulatory and payment market dynamics. Your work stream may include designing systems around Visa Authorization and Single Message System (SMS) gateways to non-Visa networks (e.g. STAR, NYCE, Pulse, Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus). The Authorization and SMS Gateways support transactions originated by merchants, acquirers and other third parties for authorization only, and full financial POS debit, ATM and Push Payments and passing them to other non-Visa networks.
You will be comfortable executing and leading a product development process that suits the problems to be solved (Agile, Lean, user-centered design etc.). You will be testing assumptions, resolving uncertainties and establishing strong product-market fit. This process will include early prototyping and gathering continuous iterative feedback from prospective clients, stakeholders and solution partners.
You have a “product ownership” attitude and be ready to do whatever it takes to integrate teams together for product launch and support. You are curious, not afraid of problems or domain areas you don’t know the answers to yet.
§ Basic Qualifications
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 6 years of experience in Product development or management experience in any related field such as: SaaS services, FinTech, banking services/payments, mobile banking apps, card issuing/processing, credit/debit or prepaid card programs, payment networks
- Expert knowledge of a payment processing platform such as VisaNet
- Knowledge of debit cards and/or acquiring processing, client acquirer reconciliation and settlement processes
§ Preferred Qualifications
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or
- 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA) or
- 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- Advanced knowledge of ISO:8583 components (MTI, bitmap, and data fields)
- Ability to break down MTIs in detail
- Advanced knowledge of tokenization concepts, details. and its relationship with a payment network processing system
- Curious problem solver with a solution-oriented mindset
- Passionate about getting things done and shipping product on time
- Able to write succinct result-oriented product requirements
- Opinionated about good software service development methodologies, developer engagement and modern, RESTful API architectures
- Experience with issuer card processing a plus
- Excited to work on systems that could enable global financial inclusion and more convenient, reliable payment services for hundreds of millions of people around the world
- This position may require the incumbent to travel for work 25% of the time
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours
§ Essential Functions
- Design distributed systems for scale
- Experience adapting development methodologies appropriate to different stages/maturities of a product’s lifecycle
- Able to actively help prioritize deliverables for development teams
- Familiar with the level of security, privacy, compliance and associated risk-management considerations required to build highly trustworthy and reliable internet-based financial applications. Knowledge of PCI DSS Level 2 requirements desired
- Strong influence, advocacy and communication skills required as you will be interacting regularly with executive leadership across Visa as externally with clients and partners
- Empathetic, kind, and mindful of not just your perspective but also what matters to customers, stakeholders and partner teams
- Contributes to robust business cases and optimized product investments through review, analysis and challenge to ensure business assumptions are valid
§ Physical Requirements
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.