Director, Distriuted Systems Architecture and Engineering
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Director - Distributed Systems Architecture & Engineering
While Visa's strategy is not driven by external accolades, it is always good to know the how Visa is recognized publicly for its commitment to improve the employee experience. Four different organizations recently honored Visa: Women’s Choice Awards: Visa hit the trifecta with the Women’s Choice Awards. The organization recognized Visa as a best place to work for women, millennials and multicultural women. The Best Employers for Diversity 2019: Visa ranked No. 10 on Forbes’ annual list. Fortune’s Most Admired Companies List: Visa ranked No. 42 on Fortune’s annual list and took the top spot in its industry. Bloomberg’s 2019 Gender-Equality Index (GEI): The GEI recognizes companies committed to advancing women in the workplace, and Visa made the list for the second year in a row.
VISA's Distributed Architecture & Engineering strategy is to collaborate with our Product development teams, and other teams within Operations & Infrastructure team on Engineering, building and maintaining the most innovative, reliable, secure and cost-effective distributed solutions to meet VISA customers’ growing needs.
This director will be responsible for leading a Distributed Systems Architecture and Engineering which is responsible for architecture and engineering of tools Infrastructure and associated infrastructure management solutions at Visa especially in design and deployment. As a leader, who has the unique vantage point to work at intersection of Infrastructure and software engineering, to be the catalyst and proponent of open-source & open technologies, design and deploy container based cloud infrastructure & its management ecosystem. You'll play a critical role in driving cross-function collaboration of Visa's Compute, Network, Storage, Cloud and Automation teams to deliver programmable and vendor-neutral infrastructure to support a Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) that transforms virtualization from an efficiency to a whole new compute paradigm. Extensive experience managing engineering teams as a "Technical manager" is a must, along with experience with open solutions to encapsulate the infrastructure making it available as code to our partners. Prior experience with ecosystems(monitoring, configuration/compliance management, orchestration, logging) managing virtualization, Cloud, Containers and deployment of infrastructure for large enterprises is also required. Experience with automating Infrastructure with containerization and orchestration is highly desired. This position will report to the Senior Director of Distributed Systems Architecture and Engineering.
10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 8+ years of experience of managing an engineering team focused on architecture, engineering and implementation of infrastructure solutions such as, Configuration Management(Bladelogic, Chef, Ansible, Salt or Puppet), Monitoring (BMC TrueSight Operation Mgmt, SCOM, SysDig, Prometheus, Zabbix), Orchestration(System Center Orchestrator, BMC Atrium Orchestrator, Ansible), Logging(Splunk, ELK, Fluentd)
- Proven record of qualifying technology roadmap, executing defined technology strategies and driving adoption across a large enterprise, acting as an infrastructure/service mgmt. evangelist
- Deep experience in selecting, designing and developing a tool-chain with loosely coupled software components to perform specific technical functions
- Must have prior hands-on experience in designing, building and implementing Open source based cloud/container infrastructure solutions.
- Being a succinct/effective communicator to articulate technology vision, execution plans with supporting facts and relevant investigations
- Solid system administration capabilities with good understanding of virtualization (KVM, VSphere, Hyper-V), containerization(Docker) & cloud(Kubernetes), and their associated management challenges and viable solutions
- Excellent understanding of Cloud technologies in application of hypervisor, storage and network automation capabilities
- Self-starter possessing excellent time management skills, able to manage multiple activities simultaneously while requiring little or no oversight and/or direction.
- Proven ability to lead with passion and execute vision with little guidance
- Must have prior experience in building automated solutions through tools and software that enable infrastructure to be remotely provisioned, configured and decommissioned
- At least 5 years of practical administration experience in Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu) as a server platform, practical experience of organization of highly available cluster
- At least 2 years of practical experience in Chef/Ansible for medium and large environments with practical experience of manifests creation;
- At least 2 years of practical administration experience of virtualized environments based on KVM
- At least 3 years of practical experience with scripting languages, such as Perl, Ruby, or Python, ability to understand and troubleshoot code written in Python and Ruby
- Solid technology background in the Compute, Network and Storage space with current understanding of implementation of vendor solutions by HPE, Cisco, Dell/EMC, Netapp, Hitachi
Key skills required (in the order of priority)
- Infrastructure management solutions (Must have)
- Experience with Monitoring, Orchestration, Configuration & logging tools (must have)
- Containerization & Orchestration - Docker, Kubernetes (must have)
- Expert level Hypervisor Experience: VMWARE, KVM, Hyper-V (must have)
- RHEL Linux/CentOS/Ubuntu, Windows Server (must have)
- Expert level Compute Experience managing HPE, Dell, Hitachi, Cisco Infrastructure (must have)
- Good Understanding of Network architecture and concepts (must have)
- Experience with Storage Products from EMC, Hitachi (must have)
- Experience with Public Cloud & offerings - Azure, AWS (good to have)
- Lead the design and implementation agile innovative infrastructure solutions/infrastructure management solutions that take advantage of technology advances that allow cost reduction, standardization and commoditization
- Champion the adoption of open infrastructure solutions that are fit for purpose yet forward the Visa goals to keep technology relevant
- Influence the technology roadmap for infrastructure management, be the gatekeeper for the definition of implementable strategies for the disciplines of monitoring, configuration management, orchestration, logging, drive the implementation of these strategies and delivery the projects on target, on budget and on time
- Drive the technology transformation, establish and maintain standards and integration. Identify, implement and advocate open standard toolsets to reduce complexity and support operational goals for increasing automation across the enterprise
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to define and implement end-to-end discovery solution, ensure CMDB data accuracy, facilitate license compliance workflows and enable Service Recovery Unit (SRU) based service monitoring & management
- Drive the AI/ML adoption to solve real infrastructure management problems – establish sensible infrastructure modeling, consume and enrich collected infrastructure datasets, reduce the time to detection and MTTR, provide adaptive thresholding and predictive analysis capabilities
- Provide highly reliable infrastructure solutions that are extremely secure enabling Operations to manage environments simply and effectively
- Evangelize the toolsets standards and capabilities, gain insights of the workflows of Product Development, Engineering and Operations teams, ensure toolsets relevance and drive adoption
- Provide Compute-as-a-Service offerings to customers that are easy to consume, elastic, secure and reliable using Open Source based Cloud solutions.
- Provide well-informed guidance regarding the application of the container platform and other supporting technologies to help Visa's successful deployment of private cloud and make in-road at hybrid cloud while maintaining security control and compliance
- Facilitate knowledge transfer to the Engineering and Operations team during/after deploying a new tool/platform, drive adoption, build supporting capability at all levels. Maintain a common documentation library of standardized procedures and configurations
- Work with geographically distributed Visa teams on technical challenges and process improvements
- Collaborate with business representatives, IT Management, IT development, support teams and vendors to ensure on time, on budget, and quality delivery of technical solutions that support the strategic direction of the business and IT
- Good understanding of CAPEX/ OPEX
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- “This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.