Sr. Director, Data Product Development
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As part of the Visa Technology organization, the Data Products Development team is looking for a hands-on data science manager that is passionate about innovating and delivering differentiated data solutions across the Visa payment network.
We are looking for a seasoned Data Scientist leader to support Visa verticals and product partners in Data Products Development. You will provide strategic data science leadership to project architects, data scientists and data engineers and your product partners on large and complex projects for merchant payment management solutions. You understand the business imperatives tied to these strategic projects and design and implement to these goals. You provide data science leadership and are the technical expert on strategic projects, drive the release strategy and guide the delivery of strategic projects aligned to business strategy on innovative payment acceptance, integrated commerce management, powerful risk management and marketing tools. You maintain awareness of dependencies between projects and delivery vision, while ensuring data science and data engineering excellence to the five nines. You build the strategy for your teams to architect, design and deliver the next wave of enterprise FinTech innovation in data science.
This person will be responsible working with the vertical product teams to design and implement a portfolio of new and creative data products to deliver solutions across Visa's client base globally and that will be integrated into client applications and processes.
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree or the equivalent
- Graduate degree in an analytical field such as statistics, operations research, economics, computer science or other technical field
- • 8+ years experience in data-based decision-making or quantitative analysis
- • Experience in financial services, card issuers, payment networks strongly recommended
- • Demonstrated success in using analytics to drive innovation in business problem solving
- • Experience with extracting and aggregating data from large data sets using SQL or other tools
- • Experience in prototyping and developing machine learning models using statistical software (e.g., Python, SAS, R or others)
- • Ability to articulate data insights in succinct business terms and communicate effectively
- • Competence in Excel, PowerPoint and Tableau
- • Experience with distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop) a plus, but not required
- • Previous people management experience a plus, but not required
- Drive the data science design and implementation for key cross team / cross product development projects (via architecture/design documents and developing code key modules).
- Establish data science development patterns and best practices via examples and shipping code.
- Ensure that all relevant project teams follow a common set of principles and patterns and utilize a standard set of technology frameworks and libraries.
- Provide leadership across the data science community to ensure solutions are built in alignment with platform principles and standards.
- Mentor and build world-class high-performing engineering and data science teams.
- Apply data science best practices that helps increase execution velocity.
- Develop architectures that are inherently secure, robust, scalable, modular, API-centric and global.
- Influence technology selection for the enterprise.
- Define deployment topology by working with peers across the technology organization.
- Optimize use of Visa’s Platforms & Solutions.
- Demonstrate thought leadership through presentations and teaching across Visa.
- Communicate with verticals and product partners to understand the challenges they face and convince them with data