Director, Legal Counsel
- Shanghai, China
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
To assist the Head of Legal and Senior Counsel with a broad range of regional legal requirements, in particular to handle and be responsible for day to day legal requirements of country and functional business units.
- Respond to requests for drafts of a wide range of formal contracts, letter agreements and other documents submitted by all applicable areas of country and functional business units. This also includes development of template/standard documents and may include drafting template/standard documents for or adapting global or regional documents to local requirements.
- Respond to general requests for advice from applicable areas of country and functional business units on a wide range of legal matters, including corporate, commercial, employment, antitrust, intellectual property, privacy and general commercial law.
- Help with the Market-Open initiatives and other new business in China; Research and analyze legal issues in connection with application of various licenses and permits;
- Participate as the "legal department" representative on various projects teams, steering committees and panels as and when the need arises (for example, the Client Incentives Contract Group, China Control Committee).
- Determine when external legal advice is required and instructing external counsel and advising on specialist legal matters in connection with a range of matters, and using external advisors in an efficient and cost-effective way. Summarizing and translating external legal advice into practical business solutions for the applicable country or functional business units.
- Assist with company secretarial matters across the region.
- Take responsibility for developing, implementing and updating legal documentation as required.
- Degree, preferably with honors, from a leading university.
- Admission to practice in China and/or common law jurisdiction.
- Quality commercial law experience drafting and negotiating strategic and complex deals in a leading law firm or in-house of multinational company.
- Ability to efficiently manage and prioritize the works and to identify and resolve problem independently and quickly.
- Knowledge of antitrust law, anti-bribery laws (like FCPA and UKBA), privacy law and intellectual property law preferred.
- International experience preferred, but a desire to expand knowledge of regional laws and legal systems will substitute.
- Fluency in Chinese and English.
- First class communication and client relation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team-based environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Power Point (expert level).
- 6-10 years post-qualification legal experience.
- Solid experiences in leading national or international law firm; or in-house of multinational company.
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team.
As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world,
Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.