Senior Java Software Engineer - Payments / Funds Transfer
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
What's the job? As part of the Network Processing Product Development organization, you will be responsible for system development, implementation, maintenance and support of Visa's Clearing and Settlement systems, which clear, settle, and deliver transactions to issuer and acquirer financial institutions globally. Through this challenging job, you will gain experience collaborating with various parts of the business in understanding requirements for system enhancements, identifying areas of improvement and implementing changes to the system where it is needed. You'll provide rotational 24/7 on call support for problem resolution. The product that you oversee will be of the highest quality meeting all requirements within the scheduled time frame.
Who are we looking for? You! We are looking for Senior Java Software Engineer with software development and design experience. You are a great teammate, making sure that everyone on your team feels valued and is excited to work with you. Location, time pressure, distractions, none of it matters: no matter the environment, you know you can code and build amazing, high-performing, and bug-free products.
Experience in Java, Spring, SQL and Linux is necessary. You lead and encourage others to take risks, be bold, and innovate in order to create exceptional products that are both seamless for our clients and consumer facing. No matter the challenge, you know you can find a solution and encourage others to think the same. You recognize when to ask for help and when to collaborate with others, working across departments and influencing in areas beyond immediate control. Above all, you are someone who takes initiative and thinks like an owner - you've defined your everywhere and lead others to find theirs all while launching Visa ahead of the game.
Why us? Working at Visa is challenging. The problems that we face and solve and the decisions that we make affect the world. Visa is all about helping people around the world reach their Everywhere, the place where their personal, professional and financial goals intersect. As the premier payments technology company, we're proud to boast that our commerce platforms touch the lives of billions, all over the globe. If you have ambition, focus and drive, and are interested in joining a global team focused on changing the way the world pays and is paid, you'll find your everywhere at Visa.
• Develop programs for enhancing Visa's critical Clearing and Settlement systems
• Collaborate with business units and technical staff to design appropriate solutions.
• Evaluate options and provide recommendation on scope and scale of effort required to develop solutions.
• Create design documents, code, unit/functional test, document and implement new programs and subprograms, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing software.
• Build and maintain effective relationships across disciplines in order to provide superior product support.
• Support and deliver on resulting initiatives from the Business Plan and Technology strategy demonstrating re-use, eliminating duplicative components, architectural design, and use of innovative products.
• Work to ensure technology decisions are "business" driven.
• Suggest and cultivate ideas on the extension of the current systems to new products and services.
• Must be able to understand the positioning of a solution within the company and to build consensus to effectively gain buy-in from all participants.
• Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards, processes and systems.
• Provide rotational on-call support as scheduled.
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- Experience in Java, Spring, SQL, Linux is a must.
- Experience on application development on Linux is required.
- Experience in development in a CI/CD environment and familiarity with CI/CD tools is required.
- Experience in applying modern Agile Software Development practices.
- Experience in MicroServices development is a plus.
- Experience in funds transfer or payment processing is a plus.
- Experience with designing and developing solutions for highly scalable, highly available complex systems, preferably in the payment systems or other financial services industry.
- Adaptability is a must, including the ability and enthusiasm to learn new technologies quickly.
- Strong problem determination skills and ability to resolve critical issues for complex systems under tight timeframes using dumps and other tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi task and handle multiple competing priorities with minimal direction from management. Should possess excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to understand systems from all levels, from the "big picture" enterprise-level view to the low-level technical view.
- Must be able to write technical design and build documentation for all aspects of a technical infrastructure.
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Ability to represent technical and business issues and solutions to multiple levels internally and externally to support strategic organizational plans.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during and beyond core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law