Staff Database Engineer (Postgres)
- Denver, CO, United States
Visa Inc. is a global payment technology company that connects consumers, businesses, financial institutions and governments in more than 200 countries and territories, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash or checks. The simple yet unwavering vision has been, to be the best way to pay and be paid for everyone, everywhere.
Visa does not issue cards, extend credit or set rates and fees for consumers. Visa’s innovations enable its bank customers to offer consumers choices: Pay now with debit, ahead of time with prepaid or later with credit products. From the world’s major cities to remote areas without banks, people are increasingly relying on digital currency along with mobile technology to use their money anytime, make purchases online, transfer funds and access basic financial services. All of which makes their lives easier and helps grow economies.
Behind the Visa brand there is a tightknit team of about 10,000. This means each employee can make a real impact in the field that interests them, whether it’s payments technology, social responsibility, engineering, financial inclusion or marketing sponsorship. Very few companies can offer its employees the global reach that Visa does. This is the power of Visa’s “My Everywhere”.
At the heart of Visa lies a secure, global payments processing network that for 40 years has empowered people, businesses and governments in over 200 countries. It is in the midst of profound change, innovating like never before, transforming, and refreshing the technology assets to set the foundation for the next several decades.
Within Technology, Infrastructure division provides best-in-class infrastructure services that are secure, scalable, continuous available. It architects, builds and maintains secure and reliable data centers, systems and networks to support the business functionality that Visa provides to payment industry stakeholders.
The Database team is part of Infrastructure’s Distributed Systems Division and is responsible for delivering open system database infrastructures with operational excellence, being the industry leader in preventive and predictive operations driven by continuous innovation through selfheal and automated ecosystems, architecting, engineering, and building the reliable, scalable, secure, available, and cost-effective database infrastructure solutions for product development partners; working closely with them to use database products to the best, meeting various workload requirements, being transactional, analytical, non-relational, or data warehouse.
The team is the technology owner of multiple RDBMS and NoSQL technologies, is responsible to strategize, advance, and engineer enterprise solution for automated build/patching and efficient administration, that meet security, availability, performance, fast delivery and reporting requirements, and to support projects and products using these technologies.
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the plan, build and run activities related to database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to the design/architect, solution engineering, and support; will be responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining the running systems, able to perform problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
Primarily the architecture, engineering, deployment and support of PostgreSQL database. Secondary responsibility will be support of Oracle database (including Golden Gate Replication).
This includes, but is not limited to, advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
- Manage, support and maintain database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the architectural guidelines and policies.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call rotation.
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain Oracle databases in production and non-production environments.
- Support local/across the DC failover with High Availability Disaster Recovery environment. Participate in Database Maintenance and DR activities.
- Write/maintain Shell/Perl/Python scripts for DB automation.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Physical implementation of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level3 issues.
- Regular database capacity planning related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
- Work closely with other Infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLA’s and performance targets.
- Adapt business requirements, model data, and develop database specifications, table and element attributes.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
- Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or Information technology field is a must.
- 7-10 years of DBA experience, managing PostgreSQL database as primary and Oracle database as secondary
- 4-5 years of experience managing complex bi-directional replication topology
- Strong understanding of PostgreSQL database fundamentals
- Strong understanding of PostgreSQL streaming and logical replication
- Strong understanding of PostgreSQL database security management
- Should have strong UNIX platform skills and understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Strong knowledge of operating systems, Shell scripting, Perl/Python scripting is a plus
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.