Senior Director, Retail Partnerships (North America Merchant)
- San Francisco / New York, CA / NY, United States
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Senior Director of U.S. Retail Partnerships for North America (NA) Merchant is responsible for developing and executing sales, acceptance, and cobrand strategies for Visa’s largest retail clients in the United States. This position will require thought leadership, vision and creativity to deepen partnerships with these merchants in an effort to increase Visa’s acceptance and co-brand revenues, grow Visa usage and drive new payment solutions to address opportunity areas for incremental business. This role will report to the VP of Retail Partnerships – NA Merchant and will also work directly with key executives from functions across Visa such as Specialized Sales, Global Co-brand & Partnership Development, Product, Innovation, Finance, Legal, Marketing, CyberSource, and Customer Support teams. Externally, this role will collaborate with senior client executives.
· Define and drive high-profile, cross functional strategies and detailed account plans that will achieve Visa’s scorecard goals, address customer needs, and meet contractual commitments
· Collaborate with internal partners to communicate Retail team strategies, identify and cultivate new merchant growth opportunities, and sell Visa products and services. Collaborate with those partners – including CyberSource, Visa Consulting & Analytics, CPS, Product, Interchange, Compliance, FI Sales, Global Co-branding & Partnership Development and Marketing – to develop and implement detailed account plans for assigned accounts
· Manage, grow and renew existing co-brand agreements; develop proposals, client pitches and negotiate new business agreements to enhance existing relationships as well as to drive incremental Visa revenues
· Foster strong relationships at senior levels with the client organizations and among internal partners
· Participate in sales meetings, industry conferences and training activities
· Lead various ad-hoc internal projects as assigned
12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 10 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- The ideal candidate will have sales and/or co-brand relationship management for large retail merchants.
- The candidate should have a strong customer focus, an in-depth understanding of the trends influencing the retail industry, and a deep understanding of retailers’ acceptance costs and co-brand economics.
- The candidate must have a proven track record of selling to and managing large clients/accounts, developing deep relationships, and negotiating complex partnership deals.
- The candidate should also have an in-depth knowledge of the current and emerging retail payment ecosystems, as well as the economics driving Visa’s performance among Retail clients.
- Must be an excellent collaborator and natural team player with superb influencing and interpersonal skills. The successful candidate will be a thought leader who is both strategic, as well as tactical; who is extremely organized with strong attention to detail, yet able to work in a fluid, creative, and innovative environment.
In terms of the performance, personal competencies, academic and other skills required for the position, we would highlight the following:
· Curious with a strong analytic orientation and understanding of the Retail ecosystem
· Strong executive presence and exceptional written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to serve as "voice of customer" with internal stakeholders and external clients
· Strong technical skills including a deep understanding of Visa’s co-brand and acceptance products, services and economics and how they impact large Retail clients
· Superior strategic thought leadership, analytical skills and ability to develop and sell net new strategies for her/his assigned accounts
· Knowledge of key competitor actions and their implications and threats
· An understanding of the organization's market position, opportunities, capabilities, and competitive threats
· Strong project management skills: organized, with excellent attention to detail, and demonstrated ability to lead complex cross-functional initiatives across a breadth of stakeholders
· Balances urgent and effective action, commitment to excellence, and taking initiative to resolve problems; holds internal stakeholders accountable where appropriate
· Credibility earned through strong track record of delivery and results
· Capable of executing short-term (tactical) and long term (strategic) plans
· Experience leading cross-functional teams in matrixed organizations
· Demonstrated ability to achieve sales results; with demonstrated trouble shooting / problem solving skills
· Ability to be an effective partner and have difficult conversations when necessary
· Decisiveness and an orientation to action on team decisions· Live the Visa Leadership Principles in everything you do
· Demonstrated ability to collaborate and influence successfully within a highly-matrixed organization; Strong followership.
· Ability to influence and achieve alignment across a range of different opinions and interests
· Strong communication, listening, and negotiation skills; able to convey and package important messages/business strategies and proposals in a clear and compelling manner to all audiences up to executive levels
· Strong negotiation and contract execution skills
· Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.