Staff Software Engineer (DevOps/Release Engineer)
- Foster City, CA, USA
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and merchants around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. Our advanced technology are enabling merchants to accept payments online and in store with first-class reliability and security. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Visa's Fraud and Authentication team is looking for curious, creative, and talented technologists to join our team.?
You will be developing solutions that automate the release cycle from code check-in to deployment.
Your solution will focus on eliminating wait times, manual handoffs, and automating as much as possible in order to improve the overall efficiency and reliability of our release and deployment processes.
We are looking for someone with serious Software Development skills, strong interest in DevOps and Test Automation, and a passion for continuously delivering reliable software.
You will work with fellow Dev Ops, Release leads and Project Managers to design and implement Release management, branch management, version control and Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
practices that are critical in ensuring delivery of products with the highest levels of quality and reliability.
Opportunities to grow your career here at Visa are limited only by your passion to learn, desire to gain expertise, and drive to excel in delivering high quality products and services.
You will be an integral part of the agile development team, and will be assigned a variety of tasks pertaining to design and build and test of software applications and services.
Your main focus will be on managing version control, manage branching strategies for multiple parallel releases and ensure CICD practices are followed.
Other tasks will be assigned depending on need such as automating configurations,doing production deployments. You will always be working on ways to facilitate better quality through the design,
implementation, and execution of automated build and test systems.
This role is for an individual whose experience with software development forms a strong basis for designing automated test solutions that will ensure that we deliver high quality services.
You will have a passion, not only for understanding how the solutions work from a functional standpoint, but also for digging into the code to really understand what has been built
to verify that the solution meets quality standards as well as functional requirements.
- Architect, maintain, and streamline of branching, versioning and release management solutions for multiple parallel releases.
- Follow Release Versioning Scheme via JIRA by closely communicating with Project Managers and Release Leads on Release Scope and Schedule.
- Ensure Deployment packages are labeled and maintained on Artifactory.
- Create branches and synchronize across multiple Development lanes by working closely with Release Leads.
- Maintain source control branches and performing integrations with merge conflicts.
- Maintain branches up-to-date with Production post-release.
- Work with CICD Engineers to ensure jobs are updated and are in line with all branches
- Ensure all code, database and configuration artifacts are source-controlled and tagged appropriately.
- Ensure traceability by enforcing GIT commits to be attached to JIRA issues.
- Support WebSphere Application Server, WebSphere MQ, DataPower and related products in production.
- Automate testing and deploying releases to multiple environments including Production.
- Work directly with agile Application Development teams to provide daily support aligned with a model of Continuous Delivery.
- Promote a DevOps culture through building relationships with Development & Operations and driving enhancements to the end-to-end release process
- Ensure continuous availability of various tools supporting SCM & Release Management including Source Control, Continuous Integration, & Change Management.
- Facilitating and championing the quick resolution of problems found during the daily build and deployment efforts.
- Create and maintain documentation of the build/release process.
- Investigate tools and processes and integrating them so that they can improve the reliability, stability and efficiency with which we release our services.
- Support open source tools installation and configuration management in all environments including production.
- Communicate effectively and responsibly in an Agile environment.
- Define and evolve Build & Release best practice by working within teams and educating the other stakeholder teams. These best practices should support traceability & auditability of change.
2 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
- Minimum of 6-8 years of work expereince with a Bachelor's Degree or MS in computer science or similar field
- 5 to 6 years of hands on expereience in software industry in infrastucture and DevOps/Release engineer.
- Experience with source control, build and deployment tools such as Jenkins, Subversion, Maven, Hudson, Git, Chef, TFS, Bamboo and Ansible.
- Expereince with Installation, configuration and scripting.
- Sound Knowledge on Source Control Tools such as GIT and SCM concepts.
- Experience with GIT branching models.
- Proficient with scripting languages such as Python, Unix Shell, Perl, Groovy and with build tools such as GIT, Ant, Maven & Gradle
- Knowledge and experience with Linux, Windows 2008, 2012 Operating Systems
- Experience working in Agile environments.
- Experience with build and release of online services and a passion for delivering a quality experience to customers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where iterative changes may need to go out in rapid succession.
- Deeply self-motivated with the ability to work independently and multi-task.
- Experience in Docker and Kubernetes preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills.
The incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
The position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.