Senior Director - Merchant Strategy
- New York, NY, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Sr Director – Merchant Strategy will be a member of the NA Merchant Strategy and Operations team, which is responsible for regional and vertical-level strategy development and coordination, key strategic initiatives and planning, market research and strategic intelligence, and operational management and business planning for NA Merchant. Reporting to the Head of Strategy and Business Planning, this person will work closely across the NA Merchant leadership team as well as with key stakeholders both internal and external to the group. Additionally, this role will be responsible for supporting key global initiatives and projects and representing NA Merchant in cross functional working groups and committees.
- Act as a thought leader of Visa Merchant products and sales strategy, including the competitive space, both existing and emerging
- Build strong relationships with Senior Visa executives and NA Merchant AE leaders, and be able to influence and drive decisions at the executive level.
- Understand client needs and merchant trends, anticipate opportunities and challenges, collect and synthesize AE feedback and recommend proactive measures to support accomplishing group and vertical level targets.
- Direct and collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Marketing, Analytics, Global Technology, Pricing, Corporate Strategy, Product and Finance.
- Collaborate with global and regional merchant strategy and solutions teams to share best practices, ensure consistency in annual planning and strategy-setting processes, and leverage product and analytic resources to drive efficiency and scalable results
- Lead projects related to NA Merchant’s vertical strategies, business development, or key initiatives; manage the day to day project and team activities to meet project goals and timelines
- Structure and solve business problems, collaborating and coordinating with a range of internal stakeholders to make recommendations on a wide range of business issues
- Develop rigorous, fact based, quantitative analysis to support recommendations. Ensure strategic and financial soundness and alignment for any recommendations
Develop clear and concise executive level communications. Communicate recommendations to executive, functional, or regional staff and management in a clear, concise and impactful way
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 6 years of work experience with a PhD
- 12+ years of business experience, including 8 years of leadership experience in highly successful businesses that have a strong track record of client service, strategic development and execution. Experience at a top-tier management consultancy and/or a solid track-record of operating in an in-house corporate strategy role, coupled with managing operations of a function or business unit is a strong plus.
- Strong knowledge of payment industry products, services and technologies, eCommerce, and mobile technology is a plus.
- Experience in client-facing roles, having led senior client discussions and solutioning engagements with multiple key stakeholders, ideally including financial institutions (issuers or acquirers), large retailers/merchants, PSPs, technology providers, etc.
- A proven track record of delivering high impact results working on projects in the areas of corporate strategy, growth initiatives and new market/segment/business strategies
- Ability to structure and manage complex cross-enterprise projects and processes with multiple stakeholders
- Strong commercial and financial acumen; superior problem-solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to influence and build credibility as a peer with functional and regional leaders within Visa; team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic and flexible.
- Proactive and effective communicator - experienced at presenting information to all levels, with ability to facilitate group discussions and debate and proven ability to influence and communicate effectively across geographic and functional lines
- Creativity and resourcefulness to overcome unexpected roadblocks
- The ability to translate analytics, research, client/consumer needs into actionable plans and deliverables.
- An ability to challenge preconceived attitudes and behaviors and shape future thinking.
- Strong organizational skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.