Senior Director Business and Strategic Planning
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Imagine yourself as part of the team of individuals that are creating the digital future for learning at Visa. You are a key player in the work we need to do to bring this experience to life for our people. This means you will learn something new every day, meet someone new every day and in general become a rock star in learning while experiencing the Visa culture. We are starting up the team. We have a clear vision, backed by influential leaders at Visa with the creativity to ensure this experience is impactful, useful and fun.
As a Head of Business and Strategic Planning you should have several key skills and many that will get developed on the job
You should have a passion for helping people build confidence and most importantly have a hard working disposition
Grit is not something you eat for breakfast, but something you believe is a true strength
You have direct responsibility for driving "bets" that promote innovation, the learning technology landscape, use of data and the learning operating model and processes across Visa globally. This includes testing and executing strategies that use emerging technologies and learning science to support the capabilities of our associates, you will work closely with the Chief Learning Officer, Visa Council / Learning Leadership Team and a Learning function of 130+ practitioners to achieve this ambition.
Business Planning and Integration is a fairly new function at Visa University, but as the company has grown and programs go across teams and departments this function becomes key in order to execute on initiatives and create efficiencies in the organization. Above all, your work will impact the way Visa experiences learning through Visa University.
As Head of Business and Strategic Planning you will be responsible for driving execution of a few organizational bets. Bets are large-scale cross functional initiatives that we as an organization believe will have significant impact on the business (ex. strategic plan for integrating an acquired company into Visa University)
These bets potentially span across all of our functions and business. The Head of Business and Strategic Planning’s job is to stay on top of everything that is going on being a strong communicator and make sure there is a structure that all involved parties can rely on. You ensure successful end-to-end delivery through efficient execution
The role differs from a traditional program management role in that you will not be working with a dedicated project team, but rather ensure that necessary deliverables for your particular initiatives are worked into the plans of affected teams. You also need to be able to drive the scoping of the bet into smaller MVP’s (minimum viable products). Stakeholder communication and expectation management skills are key components for success in this role.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be able to take bigger goals, work on both at an organization level as well as with specific teams in getting them into concrete deliverables and set up a program for execution. Your strength should lie in seeing the holistic perspective, see how the various parts tie together in order to be able to systemize it into a program. We would like to see how you have done this and succeeded in similar roles in the past
In the area of innovation – align with business needs, research, review applicability and risks, and validate new learning approaches that enhanced programs/systems, create new solutions, and/or ensure the readiness and success of our ecosystem – both learning and commercial.
In the area of incubation and change management – collaborate on test hypothesis, approach and success/fail criteria; build a cross-functional coalition and prototype. Based on findings (including failure), confirm scope and approach, implement and monitor adoption
In the area of alignment – partner closely with VU leadership to unite and harmonize College goals, approaches, design standards, and operational efficiencies where appropriate to the timelines and benefit of the broader Visa University and learning ecosystem
In the area of organizational capability – consult on trends, new skills and learning approaches that maximize the competence and readiness of our Visa University team. Provide leadership, facilitation and industry expertise ensuring our team is Future-Ready with development paths (e.g. neuroscience, data analytics, design sprints, SCRUM, Learning Engineering, etc.)
In the area of strategy – in addition to the CLO direction, serve as a VU thought leader, consultant and project lead for nascent and mission critical learning needs from Digital Upskilling, Technology Readiness, Lifelong learning and growth mindset strategies and building education solutions for Visa, our partners and global community.
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- 15-18 years of experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 12 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or PhD)
- Experienced as a head of a learning function or similar role/experience
- Senior learning business partner, consultant and change agent servicing the needs of the CLO, VU leadership and related strategies that benefit the broader learning enterprise
- Credible and strategic thinker – the ability to work at all levels in the organization. Advanced senior stakeholder management and a relentless focus on stakeholder management and customer success-internal and external
- Systems thinking – able to understand how different areas of the organization and external trends relate to one another. Integrate ideas from many different areas into a common vision
- Possess a wide range of knowledge – have worked in 3-4 different areas of the organization
- Ability to do highly unstructured work which leads to creating structure in order to implement with details
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills with an ability to present complex issues and practical solutions across a diverse global organization
- Truly a “do-er”, willing to get hands-on solving any problems needed to help the strategic plans to move forward
- Collaborative and flexible mindset and you are a true team player that can work with large groups of stakeholders without necessarily having formal authority
- when working in a cross-functional environment with design, development, research and analytics
- Comfortable balancing multiple concurrent projects in an agile and fast paced environment
- Flexible mindset and are willing to find new ways to deliver on your goals in case you get stuck
- Successful candidate will be responsible for setting up and running the global business and strategic planning needs of the organization
- Key responsibility is to develop the processes and systems that enable efficient tracking, reporting, and follow up with a broad cross-functional team, including:
- Business / strategy contributions
- Strategic projects – across VU Colleges, VU Productions, VU Enablement and VU Market Learning
- ·Responsible for managing projects / project teams and developing plans and schedules to drive deliverables to on time and on budget delivery.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law