Data Visualization Designer / Engineer
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Do you love visualizing data and rapidly prototyping creative applications? Do you like working with the latest technologies like React 16.3.1 or later? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world's most respected and innovative payments companies.
Join a fast-paced Data Visualization team, working in our data product lab in Visa's Data Product organization. You will use the latest web technology to build data visualization focused applications. You will be responsible for both designing and developing responsive user interfaces for data analysts. The clean, intuitive, and beautiful user interface you design and build will to explore and visually manipulate Visa’s unique global data assets. You will allow users to gain new insights and tell their own data stories.
In this role, you will get to work with designers, business analysts, and engineers across teams utilizing shared components, UI/UX guidelines, and styles to design and ultimately build amazing visualization experiences. Incredible volumes of data will be at your fingertips to mold and refine into elegant visualizations utilizing traditional proven graphics (e.g. bar charts) as well as inventing novel graphics concepts, yet to be seen. You will be part of a fun, humble team, always learning, thirsty for feedback, and collaborating with others to deliver a cohesive data visualization experiences.
The position will be based at Visa's headquarters in Foster City, California
4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree.
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or other technical/design relevant field
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in relevant fields, developing web applications focusing in data visualization.
- A strong product design portfolio that demonstrates how you design to solve customer needs.
- In depth knowledge of data visualization best practices.
- Excellent grasp of the design thinking and the prototyping process.
- Examples of complex interaction and visual designs you crafted and coded.
- Detailed oriented with a keen eye to spot single pixel deformities.
- The know-how to move rapidly from pencil/ paper to pixel/ screen, and ultimately to code/ text editor.
- Public examples of applications designed and built by you that you are proud to showcase.
- Ability to teach us new things relevant to this work.
Technology we enjoy using and hope you do too.
- Pencils, Markers, Crayons
- Sketch, Invision
- React, Redux
- Node, Webpack
- Sass, Less
- D3 and its React adaptations (e.g. Nivo, Semiotic, react-vis)
Bonus points for ...
- Working knowledge of WebGL
- Basic knowledge of BI Tools like Tableau and their APIs
- Can demonstrate abilities through shareable (public facing) data visualization experiences
Don't know everything listed here? Good. Neither do we. Join us and we can learn together.
- Analyze existing software/products/visualizations for Design, Usability and Accessibility issues and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Work with a diverse team of product owners, UX designers, and developers in a fast paced environment, with quick iterative cycles
- Keep up to date with the latest trends in data visualization engineering and introduce them into projects when appropriate
- Evangelizing Data Visualization best practices
- Fielding inquiries and requests for support from stakeholders
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work <10% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.