Director, Data Architect
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Are you skilled in identifying how data could be translated into compelling storing and useful strategic insights? Do you solve complex data challenges with creative flair? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world's most respected and innovative payments companies.
The Global Data Science group works with internal business teams, our key Visa issuing banks, and merchant clients to drive value from Visa's unique global data assets. Our Data Engineering and Technology teams are critical partners of the Data Science community at Visa.
In this role, you will be responsible for helping to design and delivery a global data architecture for our internal and external facing business lines. You will get chance to leverage your strategic planning, business analysis and technical knowledge of data engineering, tools and data architecture definition. In addition to managing our portfolio of datasets globally, you will play key roles in helping our data scientist community to leverage these datasets effectively. For example, you can expect to help data scientists to find and use the appropriate datasets for their specific problems. You will also produce documentation and lead training sessions for certain datasets. You might also work with outside organizations to facilitate data-sharing agreements and other types of partnerships.
The position will be based at Visa's offices in Foster City (CA), Austin (TX) or Ashburn (VA).
- Develop our global data engineering architecture and pipelines by gathering requirements and use cases and leveraging knowledge from market, external stakeholders and research.
- Define a suitable architecture taking into account various sources, use cases and data structures. Support both standardized solutions as well as ad-hoc analyses.
- Own the data architecture, build and maintain high performing ETL processes, including data quality and testing aligned across technology, internal reporting and other functional teams.
- Define and build technical/data architecture for data warehouse, data marts and big data solutions (including data and dimensional modeling).
- Develop and execute a global plan for provisioning data by working across teams and by integrating with existing technology architecture and current projects in-execution.
- Develop provisioning plans with goals of delivering accuracy, scalability and high performance.
- Provide technical guidance and thought leadership to users/engineers on the team.
- Establish lean data governance to drive data standards and data quality. Be an evangelist in the company for data-informed thinking and decision-making.
- Develop education materials and supporting documentation to enhance data literacy across the organization.
- Monitor and product reports on dataset/tools usage to inform long-term strategy.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Master’s, MBA, JD, MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- 8+ years of experience working with large amounts of data, ideally in financial industry
- Data store or NoSQL, including Cloudbase, HBase, or Big Table
- Experience in MapReduce programming with Apache Hadoop and Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) and with processing large data stores
- Experience with the design and development of multiple object–oriented systems
- Experience with at least one big data platform (e.g., Hortonworks, Cloudera Hadoop)
- Experience with Data modelling
- Experience with using repository management solutions
- Experience with deploying applications in a Big Data environment
- Experience with designing and developing automated analytic software, techniques, and algorithms
- Experience with providing architecture artifacts (e.g., High Level Design document, solution design, architecture diagrams)
- Working knowledge of version control systems such as Subversion or Git, and bug tracking tools such as JIRA
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of architectural principles and design patterns / styles using parallel large-scale distributed frameworks such as Hadoop / Spark
- Knowledge of working in UNIX environment with good amount of shell scripting and python experience. Knowledge in spring, Core Java, MapReduce.
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related discipline
- Good business acumen to orient data analysis to business needs of clients.
- Ability to translate business concepts into a technical architecture
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams to define priorities and develop roadmaps
- Project management skills
- Demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor, strong attention to detail Team oriented, energetic, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible style
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0%-5% of the time
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.