Senior Staff Network Engineer - Test & Certification
- Ashburn, VA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Test Engineering & Certification group under Global Network Engineering is responsible for performing network lab testing and certification both in a physical and virtual lab environment; and validation of networking technologies prior to implementation into Visa’s Global Network Infrastructures.
The Senior Staff Network Engineer candidate will be responsible for working with the following teams: Visa’s Global Network Engineering, Global Network Architecture, and Global Network Operations to test and certify network designs, platforms and software releases. This role serves as a technical specialist who works independently and as a member of a team, only requiring guidance in complex situations. The Test Engineering & Certification team is the only team under the Global Network Engineering organization that has the ability to work on all of the Visa network environments (i.e.: Commercial, Data Center, Cloud, Hadoop, Backbone).
Some travel (10%) may be required for training, project related and vendor visits.
- Collaborate with Architecture, Engineering, Operations and System teams through the lifecycle of network and platform evolution.
- Build and maintain relationships with global Network Engineering and Operations teams to support network deployment and address network support issues.
- Develop comprehensive test plans based on network designs and test requirements.
- Conduct integration testing of new network hardware, network design and software to support network infrastructure evolution.
- Support backend systems integration testing for provisioning, alarms and surveillance.
- Collaborate with security team to ensure new software, platform and design meets Visa’s security compliance requirements.
- Publish test results and present findings to cross functional teams.
- Leverage the findings from testing to develop methods and procedures to support successful deployment of new technologies in the production network.
- Support the network evolution leveraging Software Defined Network (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and other industry advancements.
- Install and maintain network hardware and software in the Global Engineering Test and Certification lab and proof-of-concept environments.
- Follow all documented Change Control process requirements to implement changes in the test environment.
- Work independently and support the platforms and network designs through their lifecycle.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
The ideal candidate will be a senior technologist with strong cross-functional leadership skills and hands on experience with diverse vendor platforms. Following skills are required for the Senior Staff Engineer position:
- Hands on experience with routers, Ethernet switching platforms, loadbalancers
- Hands-on experience in designing and deploying large scale-out network technologies including Cisco and non-Cisco network technologies.
- Routing and switching design concepts for Data Centers.
- Understanding of the routing protocols like TCP/IP, UDP, MPLS, BGP4, OSPF and RIP.
- Hands on experience with EVE-NG, GNS3, Cisco Modeling Tool (CML) and/or Opnet tool.
- Understanding of Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and its application in Data Center and WAN design.
- Excellent communicator and team-builder, capable of establishing trust and securing partnership with all levels of the organization, from engineers to senior executives.
- Excellent analytical skills, with experience rationalizing large, disparate datasets into concrete observations/recommendations, and formalizing into new network solutions.
- Advanced Network Industry certification e.g. CCIE and JNCIE
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, Telecommunications, or related technical field
- Network programming using Ansible, Py
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
- This position will be primarily performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up. In addition, the position also requires work in a lab environment lifting and installing equipment, running cables and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.