MSSQL Database Administrator - Level 3
- Basingstoke, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a MSSQL Database Administrator, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the build and run activities related to MSSQL database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to solution engineering and support as well as being responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining running systems and performing problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and must be able to work both as part of a team and independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
What we expect of you, day to day.
Support Database Platform Engineering in the development and deployment of Microsoft SQL Server on Windows (including Core) in high SLA environments. This includes, but is not limited to, advanced to expert engineering and implementation of the following:
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain MSSQL databases in production and non-production environments, including DR and patching activity.
- Responsible for responding to and analysing high severity calls, working to resolution and providing root cause analysis.
- Planning and implementing proactive measures for reducing the down time for production environment, as well as capacity management activity and reporting.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensuring continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call rotation.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level 3 issues.
- Work closely with Infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLAs and performance targets.
What we’re after…
- Bachelors/Degree in Computer Science or other technology.
- Mid-level DBA experience with Microsoft SQL Server.
- Strong knowledge and extensive experience with Microsoft SQL server technologies (all core areas: SSMS, SQL clustering, Data Synchronization, Encryption, Partitioning, Performance, Security, SSAS, SSIS and SSRS configuration.
- Sound knowledge of all Windows and SQL utilities; strong PowerShell knowledge and experience is a plus.
- Experience with MySQL and Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu, SUSE) for all core DBA functions.
- Solid understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Solid knowledge in database replication technologies including Always-on, GoldenGate, etc. and strong architectural/engineering skills to design systems that meet various applications High Availability and Disaster Recovery requirements.
- Experience in engineering processes supporting repetitive or frequent tasks in database administration or deployment.
- Solid understanding and experience in maintain MSSQL technology lifecycle, and automation of MSSQL deployment.
- Good engineering skills in developing enterprise solutions to support MSSQL in areas like backup, monitoring/alerting, security compliance, patching, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrate ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- A good team player, leader, flexible, share knowledge, help others, collaborate well within and outside the team.
- Work experience in a Financial Institute will be preferred.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.