Senior Architect - Corporate IT
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Visa Corporate Information Technology (CIT) group has embarked on a major transformation journey. We will not follow the ‘traditional’ IT playbook of simply purchasing off the shelf solutions and stitching them together. We are transforming ourselves into a true engineering organization where we put customer experience first, create highly leveraged (and loved) platforms with a heavy emphasis on operational excellence such as ensuring our platforms and services are unbreakable. Where we choose to continue with packaged software we will invent our way around their limitations such as poor UI or scale.
Reporting to the Chief Architect in CIT, the Sr. Architect is a highly impactful change agent in an individual contributor role. You will help drive operational and engineering excellence across all CIT teams globally. You will set architectural standards, investigate existing solutions and assist in developing transformational plans.
Within Visa CIT we use a blend of packaged (both cloud and on-prem) and custom software to accomplish our objectives. Regardless of build or buy we apply the same engineering and customer experience bar. We are looking for someone who is hands-on and willing to install, review, analyze existing solutions and development processes, and help implement recommendations for longevity, stability, performance and availability.
Learn more about Visa's Corporate IT Organization at careers.smartrecruiters.com/visa/cit
- As a change agent, develop and help implement guidelines for creating highly available and resilient software based on industry best practices and a heavy focus on service-oriented solutions delivered through CI/CD pipelines and test automation.
- Articulate the value of non-functional requirements to diverse audience.
- Create and maintain enterprise standards applicable to all technologies in the portfolio
- Provide leadership to extend the organization’s ability to optimize use of emerging technologies using an incubator setup and/or sandbox environment.
- Architect, design and help deploy tailor made technologies necessary to ensure a highly secure yet usable computing environment.
- Participates in management of customer satisfaction, best practices and benchmarking.
- Maintain oversight of the design and implementation of IT systems to ensure appropriate and effective security controls are included.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 5+ years of recent hands-on experience in Software architecture with mastery of defining technical requirements across various domains such as: data, software design patterns, operating systems, networks, applications, operations, etc.
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or 8-10 years of experience with a Masters Degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- Hands-on experience with modern open source platforms and technologies.
- Ability to create and articulate target and reference architectures and roadmap.
- Deep experience in Object-Oriented design patterns for creating frameworks, web applications, distributed enterprise services, security, data access patterns.
- Exposure to Architecture principles, clean architecture and operational excellence.
- Experience in areas of hosted and cloud services, especially IaaS, PaaS, SaaS services, mobile, big data, data sciences and the related security implications and control approaches.
- Solid problem solving and analytical skills; able to quickly digest any issue/problem encountered and recommend an appropriate solution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to author and present materials ranging from detailed technical specifications to high-level presentations.
- Familiarity with agile/SCRUM development methodologies and software development lifecycle principles.
- Experience in technology, ecommerce, retail and/or financial services industries.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and make expert judgments in situations for which little to no precedent exists.
- Experience working with geo-distributed teams.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law