Senior Director, Corporate Development
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Visa USA is a Visa company. Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa’s sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Senior Director, Corporate Development and M&A will manage corporate development activities ranging from identifying, evaluating, and executing public and private company acquisitions, joint ventures, asset divestitures and restructurings, minority investments, and other strategic initiatives. The stronger candidate will benefit from payments industry familiarity and strategic thinking. This role will require a balance of leadership and support for all aspects of the transaction evaluation and execution, from idea generation through valuation, due diligence, negotiations/transaction structuring, discussion, approval, and integration planning, as appropriate. Leading candidates must have led multiple acquisition transactions from identification through closing, and have a firm understanding of a deal process. They also must have the appropriate temperament to actively drive the process forward, foresee potential impediments to progress or and anticipate how to best prepare for upcoming steps. They must be collaborative by nature, and adaptable to Visa practices, but consistently be looking for means to improve our practices.
· Actively investigate industry trends and specific opportunities for growth within Visa’s existing businesses or expansion into new areas; listen to a range of experiences to test and refine one’s thinking; form a persuasive point of view grounded in data and informed perspective of the payments market, and articulate this view effectively with a variety of stakeholders
· Partner with business teams on strategy development including identifying and prioritizing strategic gaps, evaluating build/buy/partner options, and collaborating on target selection criteria and recommendations
· Take ownership of deal recommendations, and outcomes, through active and engaged evaluation of opportunities, driving analyses to conclusive positions on whether identified issues impact or entirely impede the deal, structuring pragmatic solutions to problems, and engage in coordinated negotiations.
· Lead colleagues and team members to conduct rigorous analyses including valuation and business case modeling, incorporate well-grounded judgment, and balanced persuasiveness to provide detailed guidance and insight regarding target candidates
· Act as day-to-day leader on deal and lead many interactions with internal (product, regional or functional area counterparts) and external (prospective clients/partners/counterparties and third-party advisors) parties
· Articulate clear rationale and risks associated with proposed transactions through spoken and written communications with deal sponsors, functional leadership, and senior executives, taking into account Visa’s overall interests
· Make positive contributions in all of Visa’s M&A activities, including the development of fellow team members, CDMA group practices, and company culture. Develop working relationships grounded in trust, collaboration, respect, and open assistance especially of less experienced teammates
12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- MBA or relevant graduate degree from top-tier institution or similar academic / professional experience; technical background can be a plus
- 8-12+ years of total relevant work experience; 4-6 years of post-graduatepreferred candidate will have both experience in
o (1) top tier venture or private equity/investment banking/venture/private equity
o (2) strategy consulting/corporate development/product management with at least 4-6 years of post-graduate experience and significant M&A buy-side experience preferred
- Direct experience in M&A identification, negotiation, and execution; experience identifying, assessing, and constructively addressing deal issues related to legal, regulatory, accounting, and tax
- Strong leadership skills generating support and momentum among functional peers
- Combination of executive presence and pro-activeness to enable effective planning, preparation, organization, and deliver in what can often be tight timelines
- Enthusiastic work ethic, passion for learning, and acute professional curiosity; able to solve problems with balance of independence and well-solicited input
- Comfortable with a team-oriented and collaborative approach to achieving impact
- Prefer experience in and/or significant exposure to the financial services/payments industry and related ecosystem of players
- Strong analytical, modeling and valuation skills: substantial experience modeling business combinations and running valuation analyses
- Ability to structure and manage complex cross-enterprise projects and processes with a variety of personalities, with multiple stakeholders at both senior and junior levels
- Excellent presentation skills, including strong oral and writing capabilities; ability to clearly communicate compelling messages to senior managers and external partners
- Global or multi-national business experience on-the-ground preferred
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0-40% of the time.