PostgreSQL Database Engineer (Denver or Austin)
- Denver, CO, United States
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the plan, build and run activities related to database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to the design/architect, solution engineering, and support; will be responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining the running systems, able to perform problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
- Manage, support and maintain database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the architectural guidelines and policies.
- Database administration for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call rotation.
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain Oracle databases in production and non-production environments.
- Support local/across the DC failover with High Availability Disaster Recovery environment. Participate in Database Maintenance and DR activities.
- Write/maintain Shell/Perl/Python scripts for DB automation.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Physical implementation of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level3 issues.
- Regular database capacity planning related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
- Work closely with other Infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations to ensure delivery of database services within the SLA’s and performance targets.
- Adapt business requirements, model data, and develop database specifications, table and element attributes.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
- Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision.
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- 4-5 years of experience managing complex bi-directional replication topology
- Strong understanding of PostgreSQL database fundamentals
- Strong understanding of PostgreSQL streaming and logical replication
- Strong understanding of PostgreSQL database security management
- Should have strong UNIX platform skills and understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Strong knowledge of operating systems, Shell scripting, Perl/Python scripting is a plus
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- This position does not require the incumbent to travel.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law