Senior Data Scientist
- Tokyo, Japan
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Senior Data Scientist is a key member of the Visa Consulting & Analytics (VCA) team. You will be responsible for developing and delivering analytics projects to solve complex business problems for Visa and Visa clients. In addition to working with large data sets and building accurate and interpretable predictive models, the role includes building out processes for efficient and automated delivery and update of the models.
You will interact with stakeholders and team members across multiple business functions, and thus needs to be well versed in understanding business problems, translating them into quantitative projects and delivering them on time and within scope.
Since the role is focused on Japan market, you should have native Japanese and business level English skills.
You will work with other members in the team to design and deliver projects with the appropriate analytic methodologies and techniques to solve client’s business objectives. The team closely collaborates with business stakeholders to understand the business problem in order to determine the most appropriate analytic approach that provides meaningful results to clients. Responsibilities include delivering projects on time and within scope with an in-depth knowledge of big data and cutting edge data mining techniques as well as the use of predictive, classification and alternate analytic algorithms for modeling and segmentation.
- Directing and executing multiple medium to large analytic projects along with rest of the stakeholders in analytics & consulting teams
- Establishing best practices for change management, model automation and production rollout
- Create new analytical approaches to solve specific customer business concerns
- Meet with clients and explain model results, answer questions and propose further analysis
- Actively seek out opportunities to improve processes and technologies
- Collaborating with the internal teams to fully understand business requirements and desired business outcomes
- Defining detailed analytic scope and methodology, and creating an analytic plan
- Executing with appropriate statistical and machine learning techniques
- Providing thought leadership in both using data to solve business problems and arriving at innovative technology and statistical solutions
- Ensuring project delivery within timelines and budget requirements
- Contribute to the development of the team’s analytical skills and business knowledge
- Work as independent contributor mostly and as a team lead if needed by providing guidance to other team members when required
- Providing subject matter expertise and quality assurance of complex data driven analytic projects
- 5 years of analytical experience in applying statistical solutions to business problems
- Graduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in computer science, or a quantitative field such as physics, statistics or mathematics, or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in data analytics and programming tools such Hadoop, Hive, Python and SQL
- Fluency in common technologies and languages (Java/C/C++)
- Experience with applying standard statistical and machine learning techniques: clustering, dimensionality reduction, variable selection, cross validation, neural networks, gradient boosting, linear & logistic regression
- Unix/Linux proficiency : command line tools, shell scripts, job scheduling
- Demonstrated ability create innovative solutions to business problems
- Native level Japanese and business level English proficiency is mandatory
- Experience in cards/payments, retail banking, or retail merchant industries will be a significant advantage
- Results oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor
- Good business acumen with strong ability to solve business problems through data driven quantitative methodologies.
- Demonstrated rigor of converting data analysis into business insights and strategic recommendation
- Excellent communication skills, in both English and Japanese, with both internal and external stakeholders
- Detailed oriented, is expected to ensure highest level of quality/rigor in reports & data analysis
- Global mindset, desire and demonstrated ability to be a team player and collaborator in a cross-cultural and matrixed organization
- Multi-disciplinary thinking skills: creative, analytic, strategic
- Demonstrated experience in planning, organizing, and managing multiple analytic projects with diverse cross-functional stakeholders
- Experience in simultaneously managing multiple projects