Counsel Position – Client Management Team (North America) – Visa Direct
- San Francisco, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As Counsel, you will be a member of the Visa’s Legal Department in the Client Management group in North America. You will be responsible for providing lead, day-to-day legal support to account executives and other internal clients in Visa's Financial Institution Sales and Merchant Sales and Solutions teams in North America, with a particular focus on the drafting and negotiation of merchant and acquirer routing incentive agreements.
Primary responsibilities include (i) independently drafting and negotiating complex business transactions including acquirer processor and merchant debit routing agreements, with a particular focus on those that incentivize the use of the Visa Direct product, as well as issuer-side strategic alliance/brand incentive agreements (including Visa Growth Agreements) and other general corporate/services agreements with external Visa clients; (ii) extensive business dealings with Visa’s external member client base including member financial institutions (i.e., issuers and acquirers), merchants, processors, third party program managers and other Visa System participants, (iii) drafting, updating and on-going responsibility for managing certain Visa incentive agreement templates to allow for a more efficient contract administration process, and (iv) providing day-to-day legal support and guidance to the Visa Direct sales account team and other account executives responsible for managing client relationships in North America. Will work closely with Visa’s incentive contract administration group (“CCM”) and other support functions.
Required Education: J.D. with strong academic credentials and admitted to California Bar.
- Preferred Years Experience: 5-8 years; experience in top law firm and/or in-house environments.
- Background and knowledge of some or all of the following is preferred: the payment services industry and related credit and debit processing industries, banking and financial institutions laws and regulations, and/or antitrust and competition law.
- Experience drafting, negotiating and/or litigating complex commercial transactions, with superior analytical, problem-solving and writing skills.
- Strong people skills with proven ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management and to work on cross functional teams on complex deals and initiatives.
- Versatility and ability to prioritize and handle a large number of matters and to work effectively and collegially on a small legal team with a significant workload.
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work independently
- First-rate writing, drafting and oral advocacy skills are critical.
- Applicants are requested, but not required, to provide a deal sheet along with their resumes.
- Varies upon the needs of the department
- This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.