Patent Analyst, Intellectual Property Strategy
- Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa’s Intellectual Property Team is responsible for developing and implementing a global intellectual property strategy that contributes to the achievement of Visa’s corporate and business objectives. This group is seeking an Analyst to support strategic processes and decisions to identify, create, protect, manage and use Visa’s intellectual property
- Collaboratively participate as a team member on a team of high-potential Intellectual Property Analytics professionals that work seamlessly across Visa functions
- Regularly conduct patent studies such as landscape, prior art, right to use, and validity reviews
- Work closely with potential inventors and identify opportunities to protect Intellectual Property (IP)
- Support delivery of IP Training and Awareness Programs for technical teams at Visa’s Bangalore Technology Centre
- Proactively monitor competitor activities through technical/business literature and periodically assess and identify new competitors
- Perform patent analytics, including designing and conducting mapping studies to identify new areas & strategic direction for Visa
- Ensure highest level of confidentiality with respect to the IP deliverables & related communications
- Develop and provide work product supporting real-time decision making; prioritize work and set stakeholder expectations to ensure the best use of team resources without adversely impacting business drivers or the achievement of business success
- Work closely with other members of the Visa’s global Intellectual Property Team to develop a deep understanding of the products/technology pipeline, patents associated with them and processes required to ensure the protection of intellectual property.
- Support the performance and management of key processes, e.g., risk assessments, incentive programs, open source software reviews, business and financial reporting, business invention meetings, liaising with specific Visa businesses.
- 3-5 years of progressive Intellectual Property experience preferably in the software, mobile and networking domains, a proven track record of leading and conducting various patent analysis studies including white-space analysis, freedom to operate etc. and working with cross-functional teams is imperative for success.
- Ability to create smart search strategies for complex and crowded technology areas; experience and understanding of multiple patent databases and search and analysis tools
- Hands on experience of using and leveraging patent data for intended use and ability to extract value from patent data and provide useful insights
- Ability to quickly grasp new and emerging technologies and carry out patent intelligence for such technology areas
- Working knowledge of either US or EPO patent prosecution policies and procedures preferred
- Good analytical and problem solving skills (be prepared to share some examples during the interview)
- Demonstrated expertise and leadership in all aspects of strategic and tactical patent value creation and risk management processes and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and successfully at all levels of a fast-moving, highly matrixed, global organization.
- Proven business process engagement and continuous improvement experience.
- Creative thinker; able to think and act strategically as well as tactically.
- Tenacious, resilient and self- motivated and self-directed while careful to ensure that required levels of management are appropriately engaged and informed.
- Proven oral and written cross-corporate communication and interpersonal skills; ability to absorb, validate, integrate and communicate complex, detailed technical, legal and business information in readily understood business terms.
- Relevant technical and/or business degrees; advanced degrees preferred; Computer Science/Electrical engineering education preferred