Strategy and Planning Manager
- Tokyo, Japan
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Japan Strategy and Planning team is responsible for shaping and driving Visa Japan’s strategy development and coordination, strategic projects and planning, market research and strategic intelligence.
As a Strategy and Planning Manager, you will be part of a team that helps define and drive strategic, operational and organizational improvements across Visa Japan. This is a rare opportunity that provides exposure to a variety of different work ranging from leading cross functional projects to managing technology resources to multi-year planning. You will partner closely with stakeholders from across the company including Product, Finance, Sales, etc. The successful candidate is highly motivated, highly analytical, works well with others, and ready to take on any challenge at any moment.
The Japan Strategy and Planning Manager position has a pivotal role in shaping the future direction of our business and works hands-on with the leadership team and business functions to connect academic business content to pragmatic, results-oriented output. This individual will help lead a team of strategy analysts.
The role will be highly visible across the organization and will have broad reach into a variety of teams within Japan. The ideal candidate must have the ability to gain deep subject matter depth on a multitude of topics on short notice and be skilled at the synthesis of multiple sources of information (qualitative and quantitative) in order to create real and actionable insights for the business. They must stay in front of innovation trends in the payments industry and be able to develop an independent point of view on topics in the face of uncertainty and imperfect information.
The best-suited candidate be a persuasive, inspiring and clear communicator with high emotional intelligence and will possess a strong accomplishment record of motivating teams and building consensus. This role reports to the Japan Head of Strategy and Planning.
The position requires the ability to apply strong analytical and critical thinking skills to solve business problems, and quickly arrive at recommendations that drive corporate priorities.
- Lead or support work streams on projects related to key strategies and clients
- Support annual strategic planning process and development of long-range revenue growth plan
- Analyze VisaNet data, market reports and benchmarks to identify performance gaps and improvement opportunities.
- Support the development of long and short strategic plan as well as formulating strategic projects
- Collaborate with various Visa product and sales teams to manage and track the implementation of strategic initiatives in Japan.
- Support functional teams by identifying priorities and implementing necessary strategies to achieve financial year target while conducting performance management for key business volume targets and also strategic projects
- Monitor, analyze and develop strategic responses to competitors’ strategies
- Conduct analysis to identify business and operational opportunities and risks and articulate recommendations to local, regional and global senior management teams, while put action plans in place and drive progress
Qualifications – Basic
- Bachelor Degree preferably in business management, in finance, economics, financial engineering, statistics, or econometrics or a related field
- Highly proficient in financial modeling/ scenario building in Excel
- Strong presentation building skills with mastery of relevant tools like PowerPoint, Word, Excel, etc.
- Strong sense of commitment and accountability, possess a business focus mindset, self-motivated to deliver work of the highest standard
- Ability to multi-task with strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work in a time sensitive environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluent spoken and written English and Japanese
Qualifications – Preferred
- Japanese and English language proficiency in formal business communication (verbal and written)
- 5-10 years’ total experience in management consulting, investment banking, private equity or corporate strategy
- Experience in and/or significant exposure to the payments industry preferred.
- Strong project management and planning skills with ability to progress multiple priorities concurrently
- MBA a plus / preferable