Senior Director, AI/ML - Visa Research
- Palo Alto, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As a Senior Director of Research you will work with a team to conduct world-class research and contribute to the long-term research agenda for digital payments, as well as deliver innovative technologies and insights to Visa's strategic products and business. As an integral team member of the extended research team, you will work on research and development activities with fellow researchers, and work closely with product and technology teams to ensure the successful creation and application of disruptive and innovative security technologies.
This role represents an exciting opportunity to make key contributions to Visa's strategic vision as the world-leading digital payments company. The successful candidate must have an outstanding academic track record in fundamental and applied research with participation in developing innovations. The candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, and excellent team leading abilities.
- Ability to work with product and business teams to turn requirements into AI solutions.
- Make strategy recommendation on data pull, integration, aggregation and retention incorporating business requirements and knowledge of best practices.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and coaching to research team
- Identifies/creates ideas for innovative research.
- Interprets and provides on-going tracking and monitoring of performance of decision systems and analytical solutions.
- Present findings to business partners and assist in explaining results.
- Communicates and works with business subject matter experts.
- Defines and provides business metrics for the overall project to show improvements
- Understand and follows product, project and technology roadmaps.
- Stay current with new research, aware of competitors and of knowing when product need to be sunset due to technical reasons or it does not fit Visa's overall visions.
- Work with business partners in creating roadmaps.
- Ensure project delivery within timelines and budget requirements
- Work with vendors on evaluating solutions. Work with legal on understanding data governance. Work with technology teams on infrastructure available and influence new technology.
- Organize and participate in AI events both internally and externally.
- Create tight working relationships with other members of the Data Science community at Visa.
- PhD degree in computer science, computer engineering, mathematics, or equivalent field with a focus on artificial intelligence/machine learning.
- 8+ years of of industry research experience
- 4+ years of managing a research team
- World class track record of research publications and impact in the community.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think outside the box and innovate.
- Demonstrated research project/program management experience is a plus.
- Experience in payments or related industry is a plus.
This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.