Staff Software Engineer-Data Product Development
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The scope of this role extends beyond core software development; you will be the owner of the new features design, build and implementation of complex systems that process millions of transactions per day.
In addition, you will be a pivotal technical leader within the Loyalty & Benefits team to ensure the continued development of innovative and ingenious solutions for Benefits Platform . You will think globally and ensure we continue to architect high performance, scalable systems that are built the “right way”.
As a Staff Software Engineer you will:
- Design and develop mission-critical systems, delivering high-availability and performance
- Work on development of new products and enhancements to existing systems iteratively by building quick POCs and converting ideas into real products
- Work closely with architects, business and technical stakeholders to develop high quality products and services that meet business requirements and expectations while applying the latest available tools and technology
- Instill best practices for software development, and deliver high quality work on tight schedules
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards and processes
- Mentor junior team members, develop departmental procedures and best practices standards
- Coordinate Continuous Integration activities, testing automation frameworks, and other related items in addition to contributing core product code
- Present technical solutions, capabilities, considerations, and features in business terms. Effectively communicate status, issues, and risks in a precise and timely manner
- Bachelor degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required. Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 7 years of software development experience (with a concentration in data centric initiatives), with demonstrated expertise in leveraging standard development best practice methodologies
- Minimum of 3 to 4 years of experience in building large-scale applications using open source technologies. Design and coding skills with Big Data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, and Map Reduce
- Minimum of 4 years of hands-on expertise with Java or Scala
- Experience with highly distributed, scalable, concurrent and low latency systems working with one or more of the following database technologies: DB2, MySQL and NoSQL data warehouses such as HBase
- Deep knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Deep knowledge of all DW-related components (Sourcing, ETL, Data Modeling, Infrastructure, BI, Reporting, Data Visualization, Predictive Analytics) and multiple tools to support those components
- Strong foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design optimized for building highly distributed and parallelized systems
- Experience with Agile & DevOps methodologies
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with a strong automation mindset
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate the logic and implementation plan to team members & managers
- Quick learner; self-starter, detailed and thorough
- Payment processing background is a big plus
· Conduct requirements gathering with business and developers to ensure clarity of requirements. Lead design review sessions to ensure compliance with development, platform and security standards
· Provide strong hands-on technical expertise performing development of platform framework components
· Identify opportunities for and contribute to improvements in standards, and processes to support a continuous improvement approach.
· Adhering to Visa methodology, develop technical artifacts for sound, high-quality deliverables: from sizing to implementation.
· Working with on-shore and off-shore vendors, internal staff, and system integrators manage the delivery of required solution components to ensure quality and timeliness of work.
Communicate effectively and proactively with stakeholders and articulate ideas and
- This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours and couple of hours in the night to coordinate with other global teams.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.