Sr. Staff Software Engineer - Java/Kafka
- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As a Senior Staff Software Engineer, you will be part of our Issuer Processing Platform Development team to help design, enhance and build our mission critical payment processing solutions in an agile development environment. You will work with colleagues, who will support and challenge you daily. You will be taking leadership roles, working on multiple projects, building full stack development of real-time transactional services, REST services API and Container based services that are highly functional, distributed, secure, scalable and resilient. We believe in self-managing Agile teams who build products end to end focusing on unit testing, code reviews and continuous integration for excellent code quality. You will be driving innovation that makes our products stand apart from our competitors, delight the customer with faster times for market delivery. We count on your curiosity and creativity to want to understand customer requirements and our processes and want to come up with creative solutions and improvements. While you’ll have the skill to see and understand the big picture, you’re able to stay focused on the task at hand to achieve immediate goals. Help our customers achieve their real goals by understanding their requirements and how they respond to their business needs.
Deep understanding of building out micro services using technologies that include Java, Kafka, NoSQL, Kubernetes & more
Proven experience leading teams that have delivered high quality large scale enterprise class applications
Strong understanding of metrics instrumentation in software components to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring
- Should be able to understand and own component security analysis, including code and data flow review. Collaborate with security team to implement and verify secure coding techniques.
- Exposure to leading edge areas such as Machine Learning that lead to deeper customer insights
- Strong UNIX/Linux background
- Experience with application containers such as Tomcat
- Lead efforts to architect, design and implement various components of our global transaction processing systems
- Analyze business requirements and architect a solution that is robust and scalable along with providing technical documentation of solution
- Build partnerships with product management to make sure that the products we are building deliver real value
- Lead meeting and discussions with cross-functional and non-technical teams
Leverage new technologies to build the next generation of our payment processing solutions
- Fluent with mocking in unit testing and working knowledge of mocking framework
Experience with deploying solutions to converged or virtualized infrastructure environments
Proven experience as a technical leader with ability to understand the requirements and independently, architect, design and build the solution
- As an end-end champion for your products, you will have strong debugging and Unix skills to help support our Operations teams
- Experience with Payment and/or Credit Card processing is considered a plus
- Fluent with developing applications using Eclipse or IntelliJ
Experience with performance tuning and memory leak detection
Experience with integrating with third-party Web Services
- Passion to work with people and help mentor your juniors to reach new heights.
- Strong work ethic to focus on our goals.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills
Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
Extensive experience in architecting and developing real-time multithreaded Java applications that are fault-tolerant, scalable and can handle high volumes
- 7+ years of extensive experience with REST APIs, JSON and container based technologies
- 5+ years of experience in MongoDB, Cassandra, Hadoop, HBase, Druid, etc.
- 5+ years of experience in utilizing technologies such as GIT, Maven, Jenkins, Chef, Sonar, JUnit, Mockito
- 3+ years of experience in both Python and functional programming
- 3+ years of experience in Hazelcast, Redis, memcached, Coherence, etc and NoSQL data stores
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
This position requires the incumbent to travel up to 5% of the time.
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.