Staff Java Software Engineer - Payments / Funds Transfer
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
What's the job? As part of the Network Processing Product Development organization, you will be responsible for system development, implementation, maintenance and support of Visa's Clearing and Settlement systems, which clear, settle, and deliver transactions to issuer and acquirer financial institutions globally. Through this challenging job, you will gain experience collaborating with various parts of the business in understanding requirements for system enhancements, identifying areas of improvement and implementing changes to the system where it is needed. The product that you oversee will be of the highest quality meeting all requirements within the scheduled timeframe.
Who are we looking for? You! We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with software development design experience. You are a great teammate, making sure that everyone on your team feels valued and is excited to work with you. Location, time pressure, distractions, none of it matters: no matter the environment, you know you can code and build amazing, high-performing, and bug-free products.
Experience in Java, Spring, SQL and Linux is necessary. You lead and encourage others to take risks, be bold, and innovate in order to create exceptional products that are both seamless for our clients and consumer facing. No matter the challenge, you know you can find a solution and encourage others to think the same. You recognize when to ask for help and when to collaborate with others, working across departments and influencing in areas beyond immediate control. Above all, you are someone who takes initiative and thinks like an owner - you've defined your everywhere and lead others to find theirs all while launching Visa ahead of the game.
Why us? Working at Visa is challenging. The problems that we face and solve and the decisions that we make affect the world. Visa is all about helping people around the world reach their Everywhere, the place where their personal, professional and financial goals intersect. As the premier payments technology company, we're proud to boast that our commerce platforms touch the lives of billions, all over the globe. If you have ambition, focus and drive, and are interested in joining a global team focused on changing the way the world pays and is paid, you'll find your everywhere at Visa.
- Design and develop mission-critical systems, delivering high-availability and performance for Visa's critical Clearing and Settlement systems
- Work on development of new products and enhancements to existing systems iteratively by building quick POCs and converting ideas into real products
- Independently, applies engineering best practice to realize identified non-functional requirements.
- Create design documents, code, unit/functional test, document and implement new programs and subprograms, as well as enhancements, modifications, and corrections to existing software.
- Work closely with architects, business and technical stakeholders to develop high quality products and services that meet business requirements and expectations while applying the latest available tools and technology.
- Instill best practices for software development, and deliver high quality work on tight schedules
- Work to ensure technology decisions are "business" driven.
- Suggest and cultivate ideas on the extension of the current systems to new products and services.
- Must be able to understand the positioning of a solution within the company and to build consensus to effectively gain buy-in from all participants.
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards, processes and systems.
- Provide rotational on-call support as scheduled.
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- 8+ Years of application design and development experience.
- Understanding and working experience with Spring and Hibernate frameworks.
- Working experience with Soap and REST web services.
- Knowledge and working experience with messaging technologies like MQ, Kafka.
- Knowledge and working experience on Git/Stash, Ant, Maven, Jenkins and Jira.
- Experience on application development on Linux is required.
- Experience in applying modern Agile Software Development practices is required.
- Experience with database technologies like MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server.
- Experience building payment processing or funds transfer systems is a plus.
- Experience with designing and developing solutions for highly scalable, highly available complex systems, preferably in the payment systems or other financial services industry.Capable of designing and delivery of one or more components of a project.
- Must be proficient at communicating design to other engineers for delivery.
- Must be able to provide oversight and guidance to team members responsible for delivery of components specified by the engineer’s design.
- Strong problem determination skills and ability to resolve critical issues for complex systems under tight timeframes using dumps and other tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi task and handle multiple competing priorities with minimal direction from management. Should possess excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to understand systems from all levels, from the "big picture" enterprise-level view to the low-level technical view.
- Must be able to write technical design and build documentation for all aspects of a technical infrastructure.
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Ability to represent technical and business issues and solutions to multiple levels internally and externally to support strategic organizational plans
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work less than 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.