Software Engineer - Level 3
- Reading, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Software Engineer, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
A position has become available for a full time Software Engineer in the Applications Support team within Visa’s Technology division based in Reading, with some travel to offices in Basingstoke and Paddington. This team is responsible for provision of 2nd/3rd level technical application support for a range of Unix-based systems. These systems are developed in a variety of languages; shell scripting is required, and Perl, Big Data technology experience is particularly useful. This position will provide 2nd and 3rd level incident/problem diagnosis and resolution. Typically, the issues escalated to the team are complex and span across technologies, networks and hardware. The jobholder therefore requires a broad and high degree of technical knowledge across multiple platforms and technologies. The jobholder will be placed in a position of making immediate application and platform decisions which impact applications and provide a 24 x 7 hour technical call-out facility for those systems that the team administers, maintains or provides support to.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Resolve complex and system impacting incidents occurring on the applications supported by the team, providing application/service expertise and knowledge, and liaising with appropriate teams when required, in line with the agreed service levels.
- Participate in a 24/7/365 on-call rota and resolve incidents under a high pressure environment.
- Be a subject matter expert on the operation of the applications supported by the team.
- Lead and manage the problems assigned to the application support team. This may also include some aspects of testing code fixes and new releases where appropriate.
- Lead as IT operational representative for the supported applications with other IT teams, Visa departments, suppliers, vendors and members.
- Represent Visa with its clients during Customer Support/Service Implementation activities and extend support of member facing applications via site visits, conference calls and e-mails.
- Contribute in the definition and implementation of processes for the support of existing/new services in line with service level agreements
- Build working relationships and improve communication with other teams mainly Visa Business, Operations and IT staff and product vendors
- Contribute to the development/build life-cycle of new services, ensuring they are supportable through knowledge transfer/training/documentation/monitoring and processes/procedures.
- Self-managed in maintaining knowledge about the systems they support
What we’re after…
- Educated to degree level (preferably in an IT related discipline) is usual for this type of role. Equivalent qualifications and/or experience are also acceptable.
- Practical experience of application support in a large, high availability environment
- Self-starter, able to self-learn, driven to understand systems in deep technical detail
- Ability to diagnose and perform appropriate analysis and resolve complex technical problems under high pressure
- Proven ability to implement and manage processes
- Strong focus on reducing incident recurrence, task automation and service improvement
- Shows adaptability and an enthusiastic ‘can-do’ attitude with all work and in all types of environments
- Strong team-player, collegial, collaborative.
- Experience of being on an intensive standby/on-call rota with high-pressure call-outs and flexibility to support team members 24/7.
- Good interpersonal skills, communication and strong customer focus
Essential technical skills required:
- Unix operating system commands (to a high level)
- Unix shell scripting (KSH or BASH, awk/sed, perl)
- Extensive 2nd/3rd level application support experience required
- Experience in supporting Big Data environments (trouble-shooting in Hive, Pig, Spark, Sqoop, HQL)
Desirable technical skills required:
- Unix sys admin
- Software development background (java, python)
- Experience with “CA Workload Automation DE (dSeries)”
- Familiarity with various software development methodologies (RUP, waterfall, agile etc) and the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Exposure to ITIL (Application Management – V2; Service Transition or Service Operation – V3)
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.