Software Engineer - Level 3
- Reading, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Software Engineer, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
A position has become available for a full time Software Engineer in the Applications Support team within Visa’s Technology division based in Reading, with some travel to offices in Basingstoke and Paddington. This team is responsible for provision of 2nd/3rd level technical application support for a range of Unix-based systems. These systems are mainly Web and API applications developed in a variety of open source technologies – Core Java, Angular, Node JS, Tomcat, MySQL, DB2, Oracle and NoSQL. This position will provide 2nd and 3rd level incident/problem diagnosis and resolution. Typically, the issues escalated to the team are complex and span across technologies, networks and hardware. The jobholder therefore requires a broad and high degree of technical knowledge across multiple platforms and technologies. The jobholder will be placed in a position which will affect application and platform decisions, taking ownership on how our supported services are managed, and provide a 24 x 7 hour technical call-out facility.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- The jobholder is expected to be a SME in at least one of the web technologies such as Angular, one object oriented languages such as Java, C++ or C# and have excellent business knowledge of the payment industry.
- Responsible for supporting and ensuring the stability of the applications.
- Change, Incident and Problem management according to Visa guidelines.
- Participate in change planning, deployment and review.
- Perform proactive maintenance activities, engage in automation activities, and perform root cause analysis and remediation.
- Write and maintain scripts to monitor system functionality and performance.
- Monitor incident queues, troubleshoot issues and lead conference calls with other groups to mitigate impacts.
- Apply code and operation break fixes and other proactive maintenance activities
- Will evaluate the issues reported by Visa clients in order to provide ongoing solutions.
- Participate in on call rotation as assigned by manager.
- Facilitate and attend meetings for Business and Information Technology initiatives.
- Write and maintain programs and scripts to achieve Information Technology objectives.
- Provide 24/7 support as needed and work with offshore teams to facilitate around the clock support for applications and services.
What we’re after…
- Solid working experience in an application support function working in 24*7 environment, driving high availability on active/active environments
- Have some experience as a developer.
- Proficient in code review and code level debugging.
- Excellent knowledge in coding with best practices.
- Experience in supporting Java applications that run in Apache Tomcat, JWS, or similar containers.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with a strong automation/monitoring mind-set
- Experience using change, incident and problem management systems such as Remedy, Service Now or equivalent.
- Experience planning, deploying and reviewing changes for critical applications. Experience with Jenkins is a plus.
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving incidents.
- Experience conducting root cause analysis.
- Experience with UNIX/Linux operating system and fluency in shell scripting.
- Experience with relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server or equivalent.
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders
Essential technical skills required:
- Unix operating system commands (to a high level)
- Unix shell scripting (KSH or BASH, awk/sed, perl)
- 2nd/3rd level application support experience
Desirable technical skills required:
- Experience with one of the NoSQL technologies such as Mongo DB
- Working experience on Hadoop, Hive, Sparke, Kafka or Hbase
- Working experience working on Splunk tool to create reports and dashboard.
- Knowledge of networking concepts and protocols such as DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP, PKI, SSL, TLS, Digital Certificates, Security Scanning or equivalent
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.