Lead Systems Architect
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As a Lead Systems Architect, you provide strategic architecture leadership to project architects and your product partners on large and complex projects. You understand the business imperatives tied to these strategic projects. You provide technology leadership and are the technical expert on strategic projects, drive the release strategy and guide the delivery of strategic projects aligned to business strategy on innovative payment acceptance, integrated commerce management, powerful risk management and marketing tools. You maintain awareness of dependencies between projects and delivery vision, while ensuring engineering excellence to the five nines. You build the strategy for your teams to architect, design and deliver the next wave of enterprise FinTech innovation.
- You'll be responsible for leading critical platform infrastructure engineering efforts in analyzing and translating business information and technical requirements into an architectural blueprint that outlines solutions to achieve business objectives
- You'll work with application and infrastructure teams to review or produce optimal, high level designs
- You'll conduct proof-of-concept projects to validate new feature sets and 3rd party technologies
- You will analyze the current architecture to identify weaknesses and develop opportunities for continuous improvement such as improving business processes, expanding capacity, reducing cost and increasing effectiveness
- Drive the architecture for key cross team / cross product development projects (via architecture/design documents and developing code key modules).
- Provide leadership across the architecture community to ensure solutions are built in alignment with platform principles and standards.
- Apply architecture best practices that helps increase execution velocity.
- Develop architectures that are inherently secure, robust, scalable, modular, API-centric and global.
- Influences technology selection for the enterprise.
- Defines deployment topology by working with peers across the technology organization.
- Demonstrates thought leadership through presentations and teaching across Visa.
Because you already have the ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems you will also:
- Document all solution architecture design and analysis work
- Interface with internal IT management leadership, technical leadership and external requestors as a strategic value-add point to improve IT for completeness, consistency, availability, satisfaction, and to deliver quality services
- Lead and establish system requirements, designs/architecture and manage critical infrastructure deliverables while driving Technology Standards
- Utilize data-driven approaches and methodologies to reduce IT process gaps and enhance process effectiveness through automation
- Monitor the processes, policies, procedures and standards applicability, effectiveness and efficiency
- Ability to review complex processes, manage customer service and provide regular technical reports both verbal and statistical showing status of ongoing projects and goals.
- Lead Continuous Availability programs and initiatives for specific platforms to strengthen resiliency and recovery capabilities to 5'9s
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- BS/MS in Computer Science/Computer Engineering, Science, Math
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in architecture and development, 5 years with experience in building data driven frameworks and solutions
- Possesses a deep understanding of Data Science, AI, Big Data, Container frameworks as well as various integration patterns enabling them
- Proven knowledge of successful design, architecture and development using Hadoop with large data volumes
- Possesses a deep understanding of benefits/drawbacks of different integration patterns
- Continuous delivery and Dev Ops experience - infrastructure automation, monitoring, logging, auditing and security implementation and practices
- A minimum of 2 years experience with Hadoop/Data Science/Data Modeling/GPU based workloads/Containers and related technologies is required
- A minimum of 3 years experience with RDBMS development (Oracle, DB2, etc.) is required
- Knowledge of NoSQL stores (e.g. HBASE and Cassandra) technologies is a plus
- Prior knowledge and experience working with Merchant data/information is a plus
Deep technical understanding of distributed services
Ability to provide technical leadership and consultation to resources at both peer and junior levels
Ability to deliver creative and innovative solutions to requirements and constraints for multiple initiatives in parallel while working in a complex and fast-moving environment
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.