Senior Director, Commercial Practice - Visa Consulting & Analytics
- New York, NY, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa Consulting & Analytics (VCA) is the consulting arm of Visa and the company’s fastest growing business unit. VCA maintains a dedicated practice of commercial payments experts who serve large commercial banks and Fintech partners in B2B payments.
VCA seeks a senior leader to join our North America (NA) team as a Senior Director in the Commercial Practice. The ideal candidate will be highly experienced and widely respected by commercial payments executives across NA. Experience in an advisory services role is plus, but not a requirement.
The Senior Director’s Essential Functions:
- Collaborate with Visa account executives and other VCA colleagues to cultivate and manage a pipeline of commercial engagement opportunities with the largest NA banks
- Lead and/or serve as a subject matter expert on consulting engagements, including but not limited to the following:
- Lead or contribute to internal problem solving sessions
- Prepare for, and participate in, client discussions
- Own work streams related to fact finding, data analysis (e.g., business case analysis), or content development
- Help to hire and potentially manage colleagues within the VCA Commercial Practice
- Create new approaches, toolkits, and best practice documents that can be leveraged across VCA
- Develop enduring relationships with clients and colleagues across Visa
- Collaborate with VCA colleagues globally to share best practices and, as needed, support client development or engagements in other markets
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelors Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- 15-18 years of experience with a Bachelors Degree or 12 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD or PhD)
A well-qualified candidate will have broad and deep commercial payments expertise on such topics as the following:
- The business needs of commercial customers and their suppliers, e.g., payables and receivables practices and challenges; the role of payments in working capital management; drivers of payments method choice, such as payments fees / revenue share, operational efficiency, payment terms, cash flow, reconciliation / reporting needs, risk /controls, etc.
- Best practices to meet customer needs across the customer lifecycle and functional areas in banking, e.g., customer acquisition, cross-sell, underwriting, implementations / onboarding, account management and optimization, supplier enrollment, customer retention
- Economics of payments, including comparative economics of card-based payment options and various “P x V” or analyzed account services
- Payments industry trends, such as the rise of RTP, changing regulatory environment, evolving economics of payments, increasing use of advanced analytics and other technologies in payments, adoption of open banking globally, etc.
- Fintech players, including where they play across the payments value chain and their relative strengths and weaknesses vs. competitors
The ideal candidate will have highly developed skills necessary to play a leadership role in the development and execution of consulting engagements and VCA as a whole. These skills include the following:
- Communicate effectively – Through empathy and active listening, the ideal candidate will be skilled at understanding his or her audience and able to structure a compelling argument accordingly. He or she will be skilled at using PowerPoint, data visualization, and pyramid-principle storytelling to help clients make the best, fact-based decisions for their business
- Create – The ideal candidate will be skilled at generating and codifying original thoughts that improve the effectiveness of his or her team and clients. This may include page making in PowerPoint, modeling in Excel, structuring a framework for analysis or decision-making, etc.
- Teach – VCA bring the best of Visa to bear on any consulting project. We team deep subject matter experts with skilled consultants and other Visa stakeholders (e.g., specialists in innovation, customer insights, or marketing). The ideal candidate must be able to share his or her knowledge effectively to help others understand the commercial payments business, or the client’s business, in order to maximize the team’s collective impact for the client
- Learn – The ideal candidate must be curious and constantly learning. He or she must actively seek to expand his or her knowledge of the payments business and the craft of consulting
- Challenge the status quo – Experts have a deep understanding the way things are and why. The ideal candidate also seeks out better ways. He or she will be able to challenge assumptions behind our clients’ current operating practices – or his or her own expertise
- Be data-driven – The ideal candidate will be skilled at constructing an argument based on facts and identifying which facts / data would be useful to support or refute a hypothesis
- Manage – VCA’s commercial practice is growing rapidly. The ideal candidate must be a talented individual contributor (client development or project work) and comfortable providing mentorship for direct reports or other colleagues
Location: The location is flexible with the potential for Telecommute. Preferred: NYC, Chicago, Foster City, CA.
Work Authorization: Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment for this position. Visa will not sponsor applicants for work visas in connection with this position.
Work Hours: Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
Travel: This position requires the incumbent to travel for work. Typical travel would be 20-40% of the time.
Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms.
EEO: Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.