Director Of Release Engineering (REF22717Y) - Visa Digital Developer Platform (VDDP)
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa Digital and Developer Platform (DDP) is seeking Director of Release Engineering to lead a team of software & systems engineers to deliver and establish top notch engineering practices, SCM practices, deployment methodologies, automation, tools to support overall productivity and developer efficiencies. Provide strategy and technical leadership to the product development organizations across Digital & Developer Platform to ensure engineering teams are building products that use foundational approach and think availability first.
You will be responsible for nurturing and developing top engineering talent, keeping the team highly engaged and motivated. Your ability to work across functions and teams will allow you to ensure alignment of priorities and goals, driving for results and fostering the right culture and the right environment to achieve Engineering Excellence and Innovation.
In this role, you are expected to:
· Provide leadership and technical guidance within DDP/ Engineering Excellence and Release Engineering on tools development, automation, system stability, availability and overall release strategies and plans
· Develop technology strategies and road maps to meet business objectives with availability, by collaborating with Development, Operations, and other Visa's organizations.
· Own system technical design discussions with global technical teams to ensure business and technical requirements are understood and properly documented and implemented, including understanding customer scenarios
· Keep executive management informed of progress and any obstacles of tools development (CI/CD, Monitoring, Auto Deployments, etc.), Feature and Infra Releases and risks to DDP and to its customers.
· Apply creative thinking/approach to determine best local based solutions that further support developer efficiency goals.
· Partner with product development and application architecture teams to drive the evolution of availability, across VMs and Containers.
· Establish clear, aligned goals and direction; provide candid feedback and coaching to maximize team competency, support career management and development of direct reports
Achieve Operational/Engineering Excellence: availability, stability, efficiency, think availability first mindset with product development.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced technology leader with a proven record of accomplishment in software development, systems engineering with concentration on Engineering Excellence and Release Engineering Tool Development and DevOps. S/he will have experience in tool development, architecture, complex application systems that meet high velocity and customer demand. S/he also needs to have leadership experience to bring engineering excellence, agility and the ability to build a powerful engineering organization. Candidate must have demonstrated success in organizational transformations along dimensions such as deep partnerships and collaboration with development, fostering a culture that encourages customer centricity, innovation and release quality. The successful candidate will balance proactive strategic thinking with flawless execution and delivery creating an environment where accountability is expected and valued.
Required Key Competencies:
- Technical and Functional Excellence: The candidate will have demonstrated aptitude/capability to manage the operational & release engineering excellence functions with direct experience leading a global organization. The candidate will possess a deep technical understanding of current and future trends within the release engineering & DEVOPS function and be capable of developing and executing a strategy that leverages new technology to support system stability and availability. S/he should be an expert at designing, developing, and deploying scalable software solutions to deliver exceptional quality to clients.
- Thought Leadership: S/he will be a recognized domain expert in key areas such as system availability and overall tool development. In addition, s/he should be an expert with regard to emerging technology trends, innovations, and developments related to mobile applications and digital technologies. S/he understands quality success measures.
- Team Leadership: The candidate will recruit, lead, mentor, and develop an excellent engineering technology team, providing opportunities for growth to ensure continuity of the department’s leadership. The ideal candidate will develop a culture comfortable with challenging current market paradigms to achieve and exceed goals. The candidate will help build best-in-class capabilities at Visa
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- 12+ years’ experience of software development, systems engineering, operations leadership, and or support; at least three of which are in senior management roles. Digital, mobile, and payments product development experience strongly preferred
- Hands-on experience with tools development, automation (CI/CD, Auto Deployment, System Availability, etc.).
- Ability to quickly identify and manage/mitigate release risks
- Drive strategy and provide vision for development efficiency and environments availability
- Ability to influence Sr. Leadership on direction of engineering efficiencies through data, roadmaps, short/long term plans, etc.
- Strong ability to build and sustain working and strategic relationships across technology
- Expedience with large scalable systems both VM and Container based multi data-center (active active) solutions, external 3rd parties such as Akamai, Cloud Fare, etc. and how to bring the solution together into single view.
- Experience in mobile engineering and eCommerce systems
- Experience within container space, understand and able to quickly build and drive team to support future systems.
- Strong leadership and people management skills, with demonstrated ability to lead global, cross-functional teams
Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.