Senior Staff Sofware Engineer - Technical Director (REF23226W) - Visa Digital Developer Platform (VDDP)
- Austin, TX, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa Next is an emerging platform that enables banks and digital wallets to access the best of Visa's current and future API services in combination with instant-issuance capabilities and digital-ready processing from a network of participating global partners.
For more information, please visit www.visanext.com
As a Senior Staff/Technical Director, you will lead a variety of projects in the Visa Next group. In this role, you will introduce new services, technologies, and technical solutions to the Visa Next infrastructure to deliver innovative payment solution APIs.
You will drive technical solutions for large scale, always available, secure, fast and international ready solutions that will have direct impact on the landscape of the payments industry for generations to come.
Your solutions, will be used by millions of people worldwide every minute of the day. You have the opportunity to transform technologies like mobile wallets, risk authentication, distributed computing and offers platforms to create seamless, fast, reliable and user-friendly payment solutions.
You will, in many cases, interact with different stake holders, senior executives, external parties like system integrators, wallet providers, merchants, issuers and senior product regional managers. You will propose innovative solutions, updates to existing solutions, negotiate alternative options, build technical and release roadmaps.
You will be integral part of Visa NextTeam. You will have the opportunity and the responsibility to build a long-term architecture that delivers consistency, quality, high developer velocity, security, reusability and availability across the Visa Next infrastructure.
Key responsibilities include:
- Identify appropriate technical solutions and/or products and designs that will best prepare the team to meet future business objectives.
- Design appropriate solutions that are based on business requirements.
- Propose new solutions to meet the fast-changing payments industry.
- Document the design in the form of a conceptual approach which will be used as the basis for sizing and the creation of detailed design artifacts.
- Perform proofs of concept (PoCs) and other technical evaluations of technologies, designs, and solutions.
- Work with engineering professionals, architects and others within Visa to ensure that the solution will scale appropriately while ensuring that what is implemented is a cost-effective solution.
- Manage the creation of detailed designs and use case documents.
- Work with developers and manage them (from a technical perspective) during project construction.
- Continue to learn about the payments industry, and the factors impacting the payments industry.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- Extensive experience releasing and supporting publicly facing APIs
- Working knowledge of issuer processing, digital issuance, mobile wallet provisioning of debit and credit cards, network processing, auth and settlement
- Extensive Experience with web services standards and related technologies (HTTP(s), REST, JSON, WS*).
- Extensive experience programming in Java.
- Extensive experience in API design and in system and component design.
- Extensive experience working with a variety of Applications Servers and Databases (primarily Tomcat, Oracle). Other database, MongoDB, Cassandra is a Plus.
- Experience in Micro Services, Service Mesh, Containers, DevOps is a big plus
- Experience in Web security, APIs Security is a must
- Strong experience in Identity and Access Management is a must
- Experience in distributed computing, Microservices is a must
- Experience in Messaging Systems, Especially Kafka
- Experience in Risk and Fraud Management System
- Experience in Mobile Application Development (Android and iOS)
- Digital Wallets Experience is a plus
- Payments industry experience, especially internationally, is a plus
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work less than 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.