Counsel - Legal, Product & Business Solutions
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
This job can done in New York, NY San Francisco, CA or Foster City, CA
Visa is seeking a seasoned business and commercial lawyer to join its growing legal team that supports Visa’s Global Product organization and the company’s business solutions functions. The position will report to a Vice President within the Global Product & Business Solutions Team.
The role includes responsibility for supporting a variety of products and services, either as the lead attorney or as part of a small team of experienced counsel, which may include mobile, digital, data, and risk products; loyalty and offers; and other payment products. The attorney will work closely with other experienced counsel and compliance professionals and regularly engage directly with mid- and senior-level business clients.
Applicants must be skilled at managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced and challenging, but highly rewarding, environment; have strong analytical, client counseling, and negotiation skills; have experience guiding and working directly with business clients; be self-motivated; and, most importantly, be an optimistic, curious, and collaborative team player.
Visa is looking for someone who will:
- Work closely with business and technology teams, including senior management, to understand and achieve key business objectives and help them develop compelling product and service offerings
- Draft, negotiate and drive to completion complex commercial agreements that achieve business objectives, and provide ongoing legal support for existing business relationships
- Provide sophisticated and creative counseling and advice to business and technology teams regarding product development, deployment, and associated commercial and contracting considerations
- Work closely with Visa’s regional and local legal and business teams globally, and assist these teams in resolving regional and local issues, including to achieve consistency on approaches and issues by Visa worldwide
5-8 years of legal practice
Combination of in-house and top-tier law firm experience preferred
Prior payments industry or financial services experience is preferred.
Strong academic credentials, including a J.D. degree (or international equivalent); admitted to practice law in the United States
Must be able to work independently and collaboratively, and engage directly with senior management with little or no supervision
Must be a practical and creative problem-solver with strong business acumen and work ethic
- Must be able to manage and drive the legal and regulatory aspects of complex business initiatives, both in the U.S. and internationally
- Varies upon the needs of the department
- This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.