Lead Systems Engineer
- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The global systems engineering group is responsible for engineering and support of the IT infrastructure for Visa Inc. and VisaNet. This includes planning, design, evaluation, installation, deployment, and maintenance of the IT infrastructure for the data centers and office facilities.
This is an individual contributor role responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify creative solutions on physical server deployment. This role serves as a technical and functional specialist and works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
- Work in a complex, highly-secure, and highly available operations environments and interacting with the technology domain authorities required to maintain those environments
- Function as the compute lead on critical infrastructure physical server deployment projects and initiatives
- Write technical design and build documentation for compute infrastructure including server deployments across various platforms
- Develop ITIL procedures, technology strategy, engineering standards, methodologies, task-plans and standard methodologies for Distributed Compute Engineering
- Collaborate with partner Engineering Disciplines to develop Infrastructure Building Blocks based Reference Architectures and standards that can be offered as services to our customers
- Mentor junior team members
- 10 years of work experience in Linux/Unix server deployment with Bachelor’s degree or
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or
- 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or in Linux/Unix server deployment with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD)
- 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- Broad knowledge in hardware, software, network, linux/unix operating systems and applications deployments thru automation
- Good hands on technical engineering professional with business insight
- Strong process orientation and solid grasp of software development and testing techniques, methodologies and best practices
- Good experience in design and implementation experience with custom and off-the-shelf applications, and help coordinate activities of multiple technology domains in terms of design and deployment ITIL certification preferred
- In-depth experience with the following Operating Systems: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and 7 CentOS 7 and 8, Ubuntu 16.x above, IBM AIX, ESXi and Cloud technologies.
- In depth experience with enterprise class virtualization technologies including VMware, Linux KVM Virtualization
- Engineering knowledge and hands-on with Linux container technology, SELinux and Docker
- Strong Hardware and OS deployment experience in the following server product lines: HP ProLiant, Dell PowerEdge
- Strong scripting skills in UNIX environments. In-depth experience in deployment and workflow automation
- Experience in automation and workflow tools such as Ansible, Chef and BladeLogic tool
- Strong analytical and technical troubleshooting skills, and possess an ability to explain technical concepts and provide mentorship to junior staff
- Strong expertise and experience in system monitoring techniques and tools
- Strong understanding of big data technologies including Hadoop and GPFS
- Hands on experience with back end technologies including Satellite Server & NIM
- Authoritative knowledge in server end SAN/NAS configuration and troubleshooting
- Ability to analyze, fix and take on storage stack issues (Hosts, SAN switches and Storage Devices)
- Engineering knowledge in TCPIP networking –link aggregation/redundancy, switches, routing and load-balancing
- Ability to write technical design and build documentations for all aspects of a technical infrastructure
- Solid ability to integrate content from other domain areas and construct final technical design documents
- Solid ability to provide level 3 support and guide level 2 administrators on problem resolution. Exhibit understanding and perform operational acceptance/turnover activities
RHCE/RHCA/RHCSA certification or equivalent work experience
- Be a part of a 24x7 on-call support rotation, if business requires
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.