Lead Software Engineer - Level 5
- London, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Lead Software Engineer, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
Visa Real-Time Payments focuses on building and deploying innovative technologies to modernise payments around the world. To affect this global transformation, we are looking for leaders who are passionate about innovating and delivering truly differentiated payment solutions for specific marketplaces.
Lead Software Engineer role is for seasoned engineering leaders who have played major roles in building complex, large-scale platforms. Depending on the interest, past experience and skill-set, the role provides flexibility to an individual to make a huge impact through domain or technical expertise or transition into leading large engineering teams.
This is a high impact role requiring the ability to technically lead large and complex projects, help design mission-critical high-volume low-latency services and provide hands on development and mentorship to team members. The role will collaborate with product partners to understand the business landscape to design and deliver the platform in a phased manner.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Accountable for implementing highly scalable, low-latency, high-throughput systems that have five 9 availability.
- Drive the design and development for key cross team / cross-region / cross product development projects (via architecture/design documents and developing key modules).
- Establish software development patterns and best practices via examples and shipping code.
- Ensure that the platform is built with common set of principles and patterns and utilize a standard set of technology frameworks and libraries.
- Mentor and builds world-class high-performing engineering team.
- Develop systems that are inherently secure, robust, scalable, modular, API-centric and global.
- Influence technology selection for the enterprise.
- Define deployment topology by working with peers across the technology organization.
- Demonstrate thought leadership through presentations and teaching across Visa.
What we’re after…
- Experienced technology leader with extensive software development experience including mid-level development lead experience.
- Ability to break down and solve complex problems and follow solutions through to completion
- Solid CS fundamentals and good grasp of DS and Algorithms
- Experience in cloud native application design and development using technologies & concepts like Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, Kafka, No-Sql, event sourcing, service mesh, etc.
- Strong SOA and Microservices based development experience with high performance and scalability.
- Strong experience in object oriented design with exposure to DDD and functional programming.
- Extensive hands on design/coding experience/skills using Java & J2EE. Strong on elegant coding can write very solid prototypes or core components quickly.
- Demonstrated expertise in leveraging agile and other development methodologies.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and analytical discipline.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline required; advanced degree is a plus.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.