Lead Software Engineer
- Reading, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Lead Software Engineer, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Provide Design and Development direction to the leadership and development team to meet the business requirements
- Implement innovative, enterprise-class solutions to resolve technical or business problems
- Formulate and drive new initiatives within OVN Product development
- Formulate high-level designs based on business requirements provided by OVN Business Analysts in conjunction with the architecture team.
- Assist the Global Network Product and the Network Processing Architecture and Consulting group to develop and refine Visa’s product offerings on the Authorizations and Clearing and Settlement platforms.
- Lead scrum teams and assist product owners in the creation and continual refinement of product backlogs for OVN.
- Provide business, architectural and technical direction to Scrum teams.
- Work with the leads to ensure that developers follow the coding standards and software development life cycle.
- Responsible for leading and actively contributing to design and code review sessions to ensure the quality of work delivered in accordance with development standards.
- Create technical training material and deliver presentations to development staff and other OVN stakeholders.
- Host frequent information-sharing forums with Visa staff members of varying levels of understanding including non-technical audiences.
- Establish a working relationship with other groups across the organization to apply appropriate tools and technology choices to meet business requirements.
- Ensure on-schedule delivery of high-quality products that meets technical, business and operational requirements.
- Clearly communicate to management on the status of projects or other issues.
- Evangelize best practices within the department.
- Bring industry perspectives and solutions on technical issues into product development.
- Participates in project retrospectives. Actively identifies pain points and proposes realistic workable improvements.
- Acts as a thought leader and challenges the existing thinking where appropriate.
What we’re after…
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline is required
- Extensive relevant work experience with mid level experience in Electronic payment systems
- Well versed in and have a detailed understanding of the payment card industry
- Hands on experience on Golang, Kafka, Casandra technologies are preferred
- Self-motivated, fast learner, with good understanding of related advanced/new technology. Keep up with the technology development in the related areas in the industry, which could be leveraged to enhance current architectures and build durable new ones.
- Ability to take ownership of open ended and highly complex problems and drive them to completion
- Ability to take a multifaceted approach to design (e.g. understands applications from all levels, from the "big picture" enterprise-level view to the low level technical view)
- Experience with structured analysis, object-oriented analysis and distributed systems and/or client server
- Ability to work effectively on multiple concurrent assignments with both technical and business staff
- Flexibility, self-motivated, high work standards, attention to detail, ability to perform as a leader of a team
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adjust communication style and content based on the audience
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.