Global Privacy Office Counsel
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Reporting to Visa's Chief Privacy Officer, you will have opportunities to be involved in all aspects of the company's global privacy program and strategy. Depending on the candidate's skills and interests, s/he will:
- Work closely with product teams for digital offerings such as the Visa Commerce Network to define and implement user interfaces and processes that protect privacy rights;
- Advise data analytics functions on laws, contractual obligations, and ethical considerations affecting Big Data analysis and use;
- Advise teams on privacy-by-design and privacy engineering;
- Conduct privacy impact assessments,
- Evaluate the impact of contractual and regulatory privacy and security requirements on business practices,
- Analyze the privacy and security implications of new products and services and offering guidance on ways to minimize privacy compliance risks,
- Advise teams on privacy-by-design and privacy engineering
- Counsel Human Resources on employee privacy issues
- Draft privacy notices,
- Document consent processes,
- Authorize trans-border data flows,
- Assist with privacy and security training for Visa’s workforce,
- Assist with incident response, including security breach notifications,
- Monitor legal developments, such as new laws or regulatory guidance, and providing analysis of same as needed to the business units,
- Coordinate with Visa’s policy teams to draft position papers and related materials
- Support business unit attorneys with respect to privacy issues in contract negotiations and client relationships.
- Train colleagues in key parts of the company on privacy laws and other factors that define Visa's rights and responsibilities with regard to data
6-8+ years of combined major law firm and in-house practice with at least 5 years of substantive privacy background and experience
- Juris Doctor degree or foreign equivalent with strong academic credentials;
- Admission to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction;
- Strong understanding of IT, web technologies (especially those used in the collection, storage and analysis of data), mobile and connected devices;
- Experience providing practical advice to clients on data use and privacy issues;
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to interact well and build excellent working relationships with all levels of management;
- A high level of self-motivation, initiative, and ability to operate effectively as a team player across different business units; and
- A passion to engage deeply with complex data use and privacy issues.
- The ideal candidate would also have:
- Understanding of online advertising, including underlying tracking technologies;
- Understanding of cybersecurity and network monitoring and security;
- Understanding of management of personal data in the HR context;
- Privacy program management experience;
- Experience in the payments industry;
- One or more CIPP certification(s);
- Experience in drafting privacy policies and notices; and
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint
- Applicants are requested, but not required, to provide a deal sheet along with their resumes.
- Varies upon the needs of the department
- This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.