Director, Legal Counsel
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The AP legal team is led by the Chief Counsel for AP & CEMEA Regions. We are responsible for all legal matters in those markets and have a team of 20 lawyers in the AP Region.
The AP legal team is collectively responsible for all legal matters and issues related to the day to day functioning of Visa’s business in the AP Region, including Visa’s business offerings (sales, marketing, products, technology) legal compliance, HR, regulatory and litigation matters.
What a legal counsel does at Visa:
To serve as a member of the Visa Asia Pacific Legal Team and provide key support (drafting and advisory) for a broad range of legal work across the Asia Pacific jurisdiction (including regulatory, corporate/commercial, technology, marketing, intellectual property, products and HR support).
We are looking for a candidate of a high calibre, who is proactive and business focused to help the business drive new opportunities and solutions. The role has a wide scope of working and business streams under its purview. It will provide good corporate exposure and facilitate development of strong commercial expertise.
- Draft and review a wide range of contracts and other legal documents for different functional business units
- Respond to requests for advice from different functional business units on a broad range of legal matters, including corporate, commercial, technology, antitrust, regulatory, intellectual property, employment and privacy
- Work with external counsel in a cost-efficient manner to advise on specialist legal issues; translate external legal advice into practical business solutions for functional business units
- Develop, implement and update legal documentation templates
- Conduct trainings for functional business units
- Assist with company secretarial matters
- Such other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Chief Counsel for Asia Pacific
Why this is important to Visa
The Legal Counsel provides legal advice, counsel and support to Visa’s business operations in the Asia Pacific region, and serves as a trusted and respected advisor to senior management and a variety of business units. With sound judgment and strong legal expertise, he/she is an integral part of Visa’s business, partnering with Visa functional and legal teams to advance Visa’s business strategies while protecting Visa from a risk and reputational perspective.
What you will need:
- Qualified to practice law in Singapore or a common law jurisdiction, with 6 to 10 years of post-qualification legal experience
- Solid corporate/commercial law experience in drafting and negotiating strategic and complex deals in a top-tier law firm or multinational company
- Top academic credentials with good commercial sense and analytical skills
- Ability to efficiently manage and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment, and to identify and resolve legal and business issues independently and quickly
- Exceptional legal drafting skills, good attention to detail
- Motivated; eager to learn and develop new practice areas
- Excellent command of written and spoken English; fluency in another language such as Mandarin (written and spoken) highly preferred
- Excellent communication and client relationship skills
- Experience in operating in a matrix environment with multiple stakeholders; an open and transparent communicator; strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team-based environment
- Ability to translate complex legal concepts and issues into practical and effective advice for business teams
- Intellectually curious, strong EQ, resilient
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, especially Outlook, Word and PowerPoint
What will also help:
- Genuinely interested in technology and the payments industry
- Familiar with the Asia Pacific region
- International experience preferred, but a desire to expand knowledge of regional laws and legal systems can substitute
- Expertise/experience in consumer/advertising laws, antitrust law, anti-bribery laws (such as FCPA and UK Bribery Act), privacy law and intellectual property law preferred