Vice President, Global Product Marketing
- San Francisco, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The VP of Product Marketing is responsible for leading Visa’s global product marketing team, strategy and approach to drive brand and business results. This is a new role at Visa and is integral to addressing the shift to digital in the changing payments landscape. You will be the glue that binds our product strategy to the tactics needed to drive success in sales and marketing, ultimately delivering data-driven business results. You must be an evangelist of Visa’s products and solutions to our customers and you and your team will play an integral role in the lifecycle of Visa’s product and solutions portfolio. This role requires a player-coach mentality, with an ability to coach, develop and lead your team; but with a mastery of subject matter that allows you to dive into the details in order to drive the best outcomes.
You and your team are expected to know our competitors like the back of your hand: what they do today and what they plan to do in the future. You also know our buyers better than they know themselves, including how they make their buying decisions. This isn’t guesswork. You coach your team to consistently back up strategic insights with market evidence and then use that knowledge to drive the development of positioning and messaging that resonates with buyers and empowers our sales channels to be successful. You have an innate ability to grasp and present the value propositions of our products and solutions in a way that resonates with customers and clearly articulates how we solve our buyers’ problems.
You will collaborate across our global and regional marketing and communications teams with a market centric approach to develop and deliver innovative programs and content that drive demand. Attention to detail and eye for quality are critical to your success, and are imperative in your ability to represent the brand in everything from product development and design to outbound communications. You are obsessed with tracking performance, and always have the data to prove what’s working and what isn’t. You and your team are an extension of Visa’s Product Organization, regularly collaborating and often integrated with product managers, product strategists, engineers and sales; it is a balancing act that requires strong relationship-building and diplomatic skills, including knowing when to listen, when to push back, when to dive in.
- Develop a Global Product Marketing vision, strategy and plan for Visa that delivers commercial results aligned with the business
- Cement the Global Product Marketing Team: expanding and re-structuring the team as necessary, further developing roles and responsibilities
- Use your strong partnership skills to develop a sustainable and mutually agreed working model including joint planning and governance with the Global Product organization, Sales, Engineering and other Global Marketing & Communications teams
- Determine optimal strategic engagement model for regional/market situations and provide guidance on their major Product or Solution go-to-market approaches
- Be the expert on our clients and partners - who are they, how they buy and their key buying criteria
- Understand the competitive landscape—be an expert on our competition and how they are positioned. Closely follow and analyze market trends
- Demonstrate curiosity to bring outside thinking in, including from sectors outside of financial services
- Be a creative and qualitative thinker that can translate technical details into user benefits
- Proven ability to be impactful in a “zone of influence” leadership role.
- Be the advocate for the brand in all major product design and delivery discussions – ensuring standards are understood and the Visa brand remains prominent when/where it makes sense
- Demonstrate the courage to advocate for and test innovative new approaches even when challenged by legacy ways of working
- Derives energy from problem solving and team work
- Have the ability to create an environment that inspires agencies and empowers team to do their best creative thinking and work.
- Collaborate with product management and marketing communications to develop product positioning and messaging that resonates with our target buyer personas
- Guide your team in developing and executing marketing plans for the Visa portfolio of products and solutions you support, coordinating with agencies and other teams within marketing and communications to deliver a holistic approach that drives results
- Understand and support our sales teams; train them on the problems we solve for our buyers and users; develop internal tools/external collateral and teach them how and when to use it
- Continuously assess the effectiveness of your team’s marketing programs and, and report back to the business on required changes
- Act as a thought leader for the products and solutions your team supports – both internally and externally, this may include speaking engagements and written works.
- Manage budget and ensure on-plan delivery of costs and outcomes, demonstrating an understanding of key P&L leverage points
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 10 years of experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 8 years of work experience with a PhD
- 15+ years of progressive product marketing experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business or marketing; MBA preferred.
- Strategic thinking and thought leadership within the field of product marketing with a mindset of innovation and intellectual curiosity
- Significant experience in setting a vision for a team and leading, mentoring and scaling teams
- Familiarity with and ability to support team in leveraging sales and marketing automation and measurement tools such as Salesforce, Marketo, Eloqua, AEM and Google Analytics
- Strong financial acumen and ability to use data to prove what is –or isn’t—working
- A strong public speaker, comfortable in front of large, senior groups or presenting mastery of content in small client sales meetings
- Ability to collaborate successfully in a highly matrixed organization, across a number of different teams and global locations
- Working knowledge of web analytics tools
- Background in design or copywriting a plus
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 40% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.